Monday, January 14, 2008

Excuse me, where's the restaurant?

Sunday was better than Saturday. Sometimes, I actually think this isn't so bad. It's just those "other" times. It really, really helps if I get to rest/nap for a few hours in the afternoon. And, I think I've found a few things that help like Altoids Cinnamon gum when I need to have my sense of smell over ridden. Or, taken Benadryl/Tylenol PM to clear up the drippy nose/sinus drainage that sets in and starts a lot of the gagging an vomiting. Or, am able to think of and find some protein or any food that I can tolerate enough to eat a bit. But, mostly, I just think sometimes are worse than others. I can go days where I seriously wonder how bad it will be going 9 months or at least a few weeks without brushing your teeth because it is a trigger and has often has me gagging and vomiting which seems to defeat the purpose. Or, I look at all food with disgust and know I should eat, but just can't seem to manage it. Or, something will appeal, I get it all ready, then can't eat it. I haven't been able to wear my retainers at night without trigging an episode, then just last night, it was fine. It just seems to be a bit hit or miss where sometimes, things really all add up to almost put me over the edge, other times where it just doesn't seem that bad. The only real trend is that afternoon and evenings are worse and harder, no matter what.

Saturday was on the worse end of the scale. Sunday was much improved (and not one poo diaper to set me off). The dishes got washed. We made it to church and a single mom's function before home for the much needed and appreciated nap.

Either way, I'm still mostly up and taking care of myself and Max. We made valentines for his cousin and my mom. We made pancakes. We rode his bike outside. Max played with his trains, and musical instruments, and easel. He's been into the markers on the white board and is a great little eraser. We spend time tickling and tumbling. We spent a good half hour or so with the car while he put his "luggage" (his Tomas the train backpack) in and out of the car. Or, playing on my bed or on the computer. And, sometimes, Max is watching TV and playing or cuddling with me. It's just sometimes, I'm doing all that feeling much worse than others.

Max can be kind of bossy. He's very good about letting you know what he wants. I often get a "no talking", "no singing", "talk, momma", "sing momma", "clap, momma".

It's funny. One of the things the assessor in his development evaluation seemed to harp on was that he didn't try to feed his stuffed animals or try to put them to bed. I explained that he just really isn't that into stuffed animals, but he does pretend play...it's just usually with me or the dog instead. Yesterday, when Max woke up, I was told that he got to sit in the rocking chair. When I went to sit on the floor, I was told, no, I needed to go to my bed and lay down. Really? Cool! After a few minutes, he came in and "climbed the ladder" (climbed up the bed and up me) and "down the ladder" for awhile. Then we played "sleep" where I was told when I could open and close my eyes. Then he played "sleep" with me. Every now and again, I would get a pillow. But, mostly, they were all his. See, who needs a doll or stuffed animal when they have me to pretend with as I mostly follow commands. :)

However, the funniest pretend Max has been doing is "Excuse me, where's the restaurant?". The other day, when we were outside and he was on his bike, I would tell him it was "over there" with a point. And, he would say, "Oh, over there? Thanks" and take off and two seconds later go through it all again. Yesterday, when out playing in the car, loading and unloading the luggage, my answer was "you go three streets down, make a left hand turn, and there it is on the corner on the right hand side" or some variation to that. And, Max would say "Oh, on the corner? Thanks?" so serious like, over and over and over again. For some reason, the whole pretend just tickles me a bit. Yes, after the 10th time, like anything, it does get old, but what are you going to do? Anyone else notice the Saturday response when I was not having a great day and my nice elaborate Sunday response when, while not feeling great, I wasn't feeling down right miserable?

Anyway, not looking forward to the work thing this week, but am looking forward to my house being cleaner and at least a bit more picked up. And, things aren't all bad all the time. There just is this underlining feeling of ick most of the time and really awful others.

ETA: One of the reasons I've been up in the middle of the night is that my neighbors have either gotten a new puppy or are watching a puppy. They don't seem to be able to hear the fact that the puppy is barking and crying and carry on something fierce, although they are much closer to said noise and commotion, than I. I love dogs, but am not a big fan of dogs relentlessly barking at any time of the day, but especially at night when I'm trying to sleep. I don't see why they just don't let them (they already had one dog who is now just over a year old) sleep inside. But, I guess all the barking done outside doesn't bother them who seem to be able to sleep through it and if the dogs are inside, you might get disturbed to let them out to avoid an accident inside. Sigh. My neighbors and I, as much as I like them, have very different idea on how dogs should be treated and cared.

And, once I'm awake, I have to go to the bathroom, get something to eat now that I'm pregnant, let my own dog out, and just be up a bit before I can settle back down. Plus, I'm going to bed really early because I'm so tired at the end of the day. I think I was asleep by 7:30 Saturday night and think I made it to almost 9 pm last night.

Ah, the dogs seem to be quiet for the moment, maybe this is my chance to try to get back into la la land.

No comments: