Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Agreeing with me

The people that know that I'm pregnant want to talk about it and show support. Last night at dinner, my friend told the waiter when he came for the drink order. Another friend told the parking booth cashier as she was leaving a garage when we were on the phone together. I don't really mind this as I don't know these people and will never see them/see them again. It just startles me and strikes me as a bit odd. I find myself thinking, oh, yeah, that's right, I'm supposedly pregnant.

While I'm feeling reasonably secure in the pregnancy itself, I'm just not ready to be talking about it, announcing it, or pretending that it actually is real. Maybe that will come next week with the ultrasound.

That being said, I'm happy that I'm feeling remarkable well. I know it is early yet, but I clearly remember feeling badly during and after Christmas on through about 13 or so weeks when pregnant with Max. And, the due dates are only a few days apart so it is an easy comparison.

It's not that I haven't had any symptoms. I have had some, but they are short lived and fairly mild so far.

Probably the biggest symptom has been tiredness. There have been a few times where I thought I might just fall asleep while watching Max or I just want to crawl in bed for more sleep. Mostly, I'm sleeping well and night and have been getting at least a short nap in every afternoon and that has been fine. Now that I'm back to work tomorrow, we will see how it goes with the no nap thing.

I had some nausea and a lot of vomiting when pregnant with Max. I've had a little nausea and no vomiting so far this time. I've gagged and come close a few times like when cleaning Max after an especially bad/smelly poo, or cleaning up cat barf, or when I took this bite of salami that looked so good, but didn't taste so hot once it was in my mouth. I typically use Clinque face cleansing products, but had to stop using the soap (bar) when pregnant with Max because the smell made me gag and want to puke when I never even knew it had a scent before and I'm sensitive towards that sort of thing. They've come out with a liquid face soap I've been using the last year or so and...same thing...I just can't use it because of the odor I never even knew it had before.

My eating schedule is off or very non traditional times. I have to eat either right before bed or in the middle of the night. And, I have to eat at least every 4 - 5 hours or I start feeling really sick. I've bought and wasted a lot of money on groceries the last few weeks because I'll buy something that looks really appealing and then either not be able to eat it at all or have it once, enjoy it, then not want it or even be able to look at it again. Toasted bagel sandwiches with pesto cream cheese on one side, light mayo on the other, with Mesquite turkey breast deli slices have been the most appealing meal/snack over the last few weeks. I made and ate two meals in a row today this Brie pasta dish that I had a taste for and it was delicious. No need to tell me that soft cheeses, deli meat, and hot baths are supposed to be taboo. I know, don't care much, and am willing to take the risk.

I've had heartburn a few times, but nothing one Tums doesn't help with. I have hemorrhoids that are a tad annoying. Both I had late in my pregnancy with Max, but not so early.

My bowels are more normal (hence the hemorrhoids I'm sure). I've had not even a smidgen of spotting or cramping. I do feel some tendon pulls every now and again, mostly when turning over when lying down or getting up too quickly.

Most of the symptoms are so mild that if I didn't know I was pregnant, I don't think I would know I was pregnant based on them, if I didn't already know.

All in all, this pregnancy, at least so far, seems to be agreeing with me. Actually, pregnant or not, I'm feeling a lot better overall than I have in a really, really long time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you sound so fab in this post- I do believe pregnancy agrees with you!
I know what you mean about it not feeling quite real based on "symptoms". I spent years obsessing about every little maybe and never got a positive. Now that I appear to be the p word I have little to no symptoms. Just aversions to smells. That's it. Oh & the needing 4 hour naps daily :)