Sunday, August 05, 2007

Two Firsts

Max had two "firsts" today. He went to his first Dodger baseball game and he climbed out of his crib for the first time. In that order.

We've been singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" for days. He seemed to love everything about it, except actually being in the stadium and sitting in the seat of which he probably spent less than 5 minutes actually sitting in. He made it to the singing of the anthem before wanting to be held and crying. After that was finished, we walked around some more until the game started. All he wanted was to go. So, he and I sat in the car listening to the game on the radio while my friend watched a few innings. She was a really good sport about it. We knew he likely wouldn't last long, but we thought he would go at least a few innings. We had just enough time for me to buy my friend lunch (actually, I paid, she went and bought it), buy Max a Dodger T-shirt, and to walk the stairs a few times. I think it was just too much stimulation and too new for him, like the first time I took him to the aquarium. However, I'm still glad we went, because it was all he could talk about on the way home and this afternoon/evening. I think he really did like the whole event, but it was just too loud and to overwhelming.

I think the pictures say it all.






We got stuck in traffic on the way home and even though I suspected the window of nap opportunity was too late I really needed a 10 minute break so I put Max in his crib to see if he would sleep. He didn't. He cried for awhile. Then, it got quiet and I heard some bumping and thought he might be trying to climb out (as I hadn't put his sleep blanket on). Sure enough, I few minutes later, I hear the pitter patter of feet. He had a big smile and a poo poo diaper for me when he found me. But, the few minutes in the crib seemed to do the trick for him (or the pride in his accomplishment) and he snapped out of his fussy/whiny mood. I'm not sure exactly how he did it because I rearranged his room last weekend to move his crib away from the tall/long dresser because I figured he would and could use it to climb out soon. The good news is that he didn't fall and hurt himself...at least this time. I don't think he can do it with the sleep blanket on because he can't get the grip he needs with his legs, but I'll have to watch it and maybe rearrange his room a bit more. I'm not ready for him to be in a toddler bed yet if I can help it. Of course, safety comes first and if it happens again, I'll likely have to convert the crib bringing a whole new set of problems.

No comments: