Sunday, August 19, 2007

Not soon enough - EDITED

Q: What is worse than a tired toddler? A: A sick tired toddler.

Doesn't want to eat or drink or do anything except go into momma's car to go see the choo choo trains. No amount or reason....the choo choo trains are still sleeping...are helping. I'd happily take him, but the first train doesn't run for another 2 hours and 9 minutes. Sigh. I'm tired too since we neither got much sleep last night. I think he finally fell asleep with me in my bed at 11 pm and I transferred him into his bed around 11:30 pm??? It is a bit of a blur. His tempature has been up around 102 since about 8 pm last night when we got home even with some tylenol.

Q: When is nap time? When can I put him down to sleep? A: Not soon enough. Not nearly soon enough.

At least he has gotten into the DVD I put in finally instead of standing at the door whining and crying "momma's car. choo choo train" over and over and over.

I think it will be a long day. On the way back from the trains, I plan to go pick up crib tent and reconvert his toddler bed into a crib this morning. After some internet searching I think I finally found one that will work on Max's crib if they have it in stock. The set up is supposed to be a PITA and I think he will hate it, but...a momma has to do what a momma has to do. Max is just too young and doesn't have the impulse control to be able to relax enough to stay in his crib, especially for naps, or go back to sleep if he wakes up without being restricted. The only way I got him to nap yesterday was to hold him until well past the point he stopped struggling, then the blasted phone woke him up way to soon. And, we had a friend's father's 80 birthday party yesterday afternoon and got home late.

One of those days I will have to keep reminding myself that I am the adult and to have patients because he is tired and doesn't feel well and thinking...soon, soon, you will get a break...soon, it will be nap time. While the other part of me things....not soon enough.

ETA: One of the reasons I gave Max earlier for not being able to go out was that we weren't dressed. He just went into his room to get himself clothes.

ETA2: I almost cried when the store didn't have the crib tent, but managed to not. And, still somehow managed to spend several hundred dollars at the store. Sigh. Crib tent has been ordered via the internet and should arrive sometime later this week. A testiment to how badly Max is feeling is that he is finally taking a decent nap. The Benedryl I gave him on top of the Tylenol may have helped this. And, I think I'm getting what he's got. Man, I hate that.

1 comment:

Care said...

Oh no, poor Max. I hope this bug doesn't last long - for either one of you.

I've never used a crib tent, but I hope that Max adapts to it and he can settle back into some better sleep patterns. I had one that had a hard adjustment from crib to toddler bed too.