Friday, August 24, 2007

Success!

Crib tent arrived today on schedule and really wasn't too difficult to install. It would have taken much less time if it actually fit his crib the way it should. However, I think it fits good enough to do what is needed without dislodging. Max actually took to it exceedingly well. I was reading the instructions and he pointed to the picture and asked what it was, so I showed him and explained it was a crib tent and asked if he wanted it on his crib. He replied "yeah!" quite enthusiastically. He had a lot of fun holding the spare rods and running under the tent as I assembled it and we played a bit of peak a boo and such. Once I moved it into his room, he wanted in the crib and jumped up and down like a crazy boy for almost all of the time I was installing it. Then, he came out for a bit while I straightened up and got his milk ready. He wanted to read stories while he was in his crib instead of wandering around and leaving the room, which was actually quite nice as he seemed to actually be interested in the books for a change and asked me to read the opposite one three times to him. He did want to come out and cuddle with him in the rocking chair for a few minutes after brushing his teeth and singing our songs, then went back in the crib. He fussed a little and I sang him a few verses of twinkle twinkle and left the room still singing with the door open. I then didn't hear another peep out of him until I went to check on him an hour later and then only because I closed the door. It's funny, he has never wanted his door open before. Even when he was in the toddler bed when he left the room, he closed the door every time after himself. Now, since going back to the crib, he only wants it open. Fine for now. Really, the only big problem is when the phone rings it tends to wake him up. Anyway, when he started to fuss, I said, okay, sorry, I'll leave the door open and he settled and went right back to sleep. I'm really kind of surprised that he took the tent so well and seems to genuinely like it. I guess maybe it's a bit like dogs who have been crate trained* and it is their special spot. He happily went back to the crib from the toddler bed and seemed overjoyed with the tent on top. I guess another sign he really wasn't ready for the big boy bed. Ah, well, I guess on some things, you live and learn the hard way. And, I think we have another year with the security and safety of the crib, which is really what I wanted anyway.

* Forgot to add that I have never actually crate trained a dog and used to think it was mean and cruel, but the longer I have been around dogs the more I have seen that done right, the dogs love it. It is there special place to go if things become too much for them and the kids are bother or hurting them or they have a treat they don't want to have to defend from another dog. If I ever get another puppy, which is a big if and not something I think I will want or be willing to take on until Max is at least 10 or older, but if I do...I think I will crate train.

No comments: