Monday, August 06, 2007

Choo Choo Twains

Apparently, instead of sugar plums, Max dreams of Choo Choo Twains.

He woke up a bit ago and sounded sufficiently distressed enough that I decided to go check on him. As I walked in, he hurried to his feet and glommed onto me saying "Sha". I asked him if he had been dreaming of Shadow. He said, "No, Choo Choo Twains". I rocked him for a a few minutes and is standard for the rare middle of the night awaking/comfort, didn't talk. He said "Choo Choo twacks", so obviously, they were on his mind. Another few minutes of holding and he was back to his crib quietly and content.

Shadow, who would normally follow me on such a middle of the night visit, was too busy playing subtle power struggles with Nikki over her bed...which Nikki has decided should be hers. Neither dog would actually fight over it, but they were jocking over it. Probably, I should let them work it out for themselves, but I did interfere and make Nikki move several times before Shadow would go back and lay on it. I'm regretting getting rid of the other one just like it after Lucky passed. But, I figure it "is" and has been Shadows bed. She is old. Nikki may not be thrilled, but "I'm" in charge. She can be second in command/alpha dog and Shadow won't challenge her as she was never lead dog in the pack nor would she want to be. And, I say Shadow gets to keep her bed.

Another middle of the night where I am up for a few hours. I was actually already awake and interfering with the dogs when Max woke up. They didn't wake me. It was time for more pain meds, another antibiotic, and a potty break. Hopefully, I'll get back to sleep soon.

No comments: