Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Where's Deb?

Where's Deb? And, why hasn't she given us an update yet on her OB appointment? What the heck has she been doing all day, anyway?

Fine questions...

Currently, admitted to the hospital. Hopefully, only for a few days. I asked for another cervix check today and it had gone from 2 to 1.5. Not good. Not good at all. So, we agreed to do the steroid shots to help the babies develop faster, just in case. However, since I have Gestational Diabetes and the steroids mess (apparently big time) with sugar levels, I need to be in the hospital for monitoring. So, here I am. Typing from the hospital bed.

I got here about 8:30 pm after a whirl wind rush to let work know, get someone to watch Max, pack, and such. I just now finished getting admitted and done with all the preliminary things like blood pressure, taking almost 2 hours to get 30 minutes of both babies heart rates "on tape" at the same time, the steroid shot. The staff is great. All rooms are private (with wireless internet). And, if I have to be in a hospital, this is the one I want. Not only does it have the highest level of NICU around, the staff is caring and make things as stress free as possible.

Oh, yeah, on top of a crazy work morning, the OB visit, and the mad arraignments to prep for a hospital stay...today was election day so I had a garage full of workers.

So far, no contractions. Not a one. I'm holding out hope that as long as that continues, I really will only be here a few days and not the duration. That, and the FFN comes back negative. Either way, I'm basically off work. I turned over to my back up today, called my boss, sent out emails letting folks know. I have my work laptop with me as well and will try to tie up a few loose ends and do turnover the next few days with Monday being my official disability leave date. The reason for the delay as soon as you're "out" they take away all your access and I really would like to get a few things cleaned up first.

I'm still hoping that this is all just precautionary and that I make it until August for delivery. I've had too much to get done to get all emotional and worried other than a few minutes on the drive home from the OB's when I started to think about what a difficult road it would be for 28 weekers. They'd probably live, but....it really is still way to early and not the start of life I want for them. I'll do what I have to do to avoid such preemies, but know that I will survice what I have to for my family even if they do come much earlier than planned.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Debbie! Hang in there! I hope the FFN test is negative and that you get to go home soon. The steroids are a great idea! I have seen plenty of 28 weekers do fine after steroids...no vent or anything! They just stay in the hospital feeding and growing. Glad you are where you are! But, hopefully there will be no preemies! I will be praying for all of you!

Anonymous said...

yikes!
thinking of you and hoping that everything settles down for a good long while in there.

xo

Anonymous said...

Oh boy, I had a feeling that was where you were. I'm hoping and praying that those babies can stay in a little while longer. I do think they'll be OK. I'm really glad you are getting the steroids. Hopefully, you can spring out of there soon and let the babies cook at home for a few more weeks!
Jenny (HeidN)

Anonymous said...

I hope everything works out and you get many more weeks before they are born! nancy in AK

Laura in L.A. said...

Prayers, prayers, prayers, Deb. Positive thoughts, too!

Love, Laura

HereWeGoAJen said...

My fingers are crossed! Good luck. It is great that you are getting such good care.

QuiltingChaos said...

Here's hoping for an incredibly boring and short visit to the hospital...
-Margie

sara said...

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. I'm hoping your cervix stays put. Mine was 1.9 today and we did a cerclage. I'm only 13 weeks following our IVF with our first. I can't imagine how scary this is for you because I know how I feel. I'm hoping both of us don't have any further changes. I'll be checking in and sending some good thoughts your way.

Clara said...

Deb, would you be a candidate for cerclage?

Rest up, and bake those babies for as long as you can!

-Susan (sugebu)

Jen said...

Sending you tons of good thoughts. Rest up and keep those babies in there!

Anonymous said...

Not to be a downer, but with a cervix of only 1.5 you're probably there for the duration. Since you're not having contractions they may send you home...depends on the doctors. After my fFN one doc said I wasn't going home on his watch so I stayed for a few days. Then another doc had a different opinion and sent me home.

My twins were born at 30 weeks - my damn water broke. The survival rate of 28 weekers is as good as a full-term baby. The NICU is a scary place so I hope you can keep gestating.

Anyway, check out www.betterbedrest.org. They'll provide companionship, if you want, during your bedrest while you keep your babies inside longer.

Best of luck!

Aimee said...

Keeping my fingers crossed that the FFN test comes back negative and you're able to leave in a few days. Glad your getting some good much needed rest there! Thinkin' about ya!