Sunday, June 29, 2008

My own eyes

No way could I stay away from my babies today. I didn't go for long and did spend most of the day with Max, but did spend about 2 hours at the hospital. It goes fast, the time I spend there. Pumping is a necessary evil that has to happen at least once each visit, more often twice. I held Ray for about 30 minutes and spent the rest of the time with Nora and talking with the doc on today. I'm glad that I went and saw Nora with my own eyes today. She looked better and more rested. Her heart rate was more in the 70's instead of the 80's. They are still treating her as if she has an infection. Her labs continue to come back normal, but infection was found in her pic (IV line). They sent it off for evaluation to make sure that the antibiotic she is on will kill it off if she does have it. They will continue to test and monitor her. A nice treat is that the nurse I like the most was on today and is working the next 5 days. Here is to hoping she has my babe for all or most of those days.

Max was up several times last night. Not sick as much as rolling out of bed (which is a mattress on the floor) and a bad dream. This means I was up a lot last night. I'm pumping now and haven't decided if I'm going to try for one more tonight before bed or go to bed early knowing that I will wake up in the middle of the night and have to pump them.

Anyway, it was still a family day. I think the concept of a day not going to the hospital is a good one, but I'm not sure I can just not do it...just not go. Phone reports from the nurses are fine, but I need to see them with my own eyes just to make sure all is well. They are part of the family too. It actually worked out well. My cousin went early and I took the kids to church, lunch, and swim. Then, we packed up and went to the hospital. Max got to see the babes through the window and then hang out with me while I pumped. CC got to go see both babes with her mom while I pumped. Then, my cousin brought them home via a trip to the gift shop, the water fountains, the park, and got Max dinner and ready for bed. I stayed for my short visit then rushed home to tuck him in and give him kisses. I'll get to spend more time there tomorrow with Nora and Ray. We will see how Nora is doing, how she is responding to the antibiotics, etc.. But, all being equal, I'm going to ask if I can hold her for a bit and see how she does. I ask the doc today about starting to mix breast milk in and when does that start to happen. I'm going to follow up again on that tomorrow. I'm not going to be pushy, I just want to understand what the plan is and let them know that all things being equal I'd like that to be sooner than later if she can tolerate that.


Anonymous said...

I'm glad Nora is doing better. I am amazed at what you are doing. Kudos to you Deb.


Katrina said...

Glad to hear that Nora seems to be getting better..and that the only known infection has been sent for testing to be sure to treat for it.

Do you get to go to rounds each morning? (or at whatever time of day they are there) I made sure to make rounds every morning and found that to be both helpful for me to understand what was going on, but also to really express my thoughts and feelings about various issues (in your case I am thinking about mixing the breastmilk). Rounds here consisted of about 8-10 people: neonatologist, the nurse in charge of your child, the charge nurse, the nurse practitioner, dietician, OT, social worker, and I know i am forgetting some people. In any case, if you want to start changing Nora's diet, you really need to be speaking with a variety of people but in particular the dietician, NP and nurse taking care of Nora...just a thought.

Laura in L.A. said...

Debbie, it sure sounds like Nora is improving. :):):)

More prayers are on their way.

Love, Laura

calliope said...

thinking of you all.