Sunday, June 15, 2008

I'm home

I'm home and tired and can't sleep and can't even cry myself to sleep. No Ambien for me tonight. With it, I was at least getting 4 hours of sleep in the hospital. Even if I had some, I don't think I'd take it while home with Max because I'm not sure I'd wake up if he needed me to. Probably, I would, but I'd never chance it. I just took some benedryl. Maybe that will help. I kept dozing off while pumping. Yet, as soon as I froze the milk and got back in bed, I just couldn't drift off.

Both my sister and Max are coughing. All I can think and pray is that I don't get it because then I couldn't see the twins. Overall, my home coming was fine. I didn't start crying until I had offically gone to bed for the night. The presents for Max from his sister and brother was a big hit. They got him twin little doll babies with a stroller we can't figure how to get the wheels on, and a doll accessory kit with sippy cups, bottles, a diaper, bibs, a "potty" and things like that. He took them to bed with him.

Here is a picture of Nora and Ray just before I left the hospital. They took off the bili masks so I could snap away. Today was the first time I got to see them open their eyes. Normally, there faces and heads are covered since they are under the bili lights for jaundice.

I think the hardest part of coming home was feeling like to everyone else the twins don't exist because they aren't home with me. My sister who picked me up was freaked out by seeing them, not that she told me this, but she barely looked at them, get close to them or talk at all the entire time we were in the NICU. I tried not to look at the expression on her face. It wasn't quite revolution. The sister that was watching Max didn't ask after them, to see a picture, or really acknowledge them in any way. Out of sight, out of mind. I should have stayed off the computer. My cousin who I was so looking forward to coming basically said she wasn't sure she wanted to come the entire time, did I really need her, and her daughter and friends were complaining she was going to be gone for so long. I responded that I didn't want her to feel like she was a hostage by my situation, that she should make whatever plans she wanted and I would readjust based on that, and that I'd be happy for any support and help she wanted to give. I told her that I was really looking forward to her coming next week, but to let me know ASAP if she wasn't so I could mentally and emotionally adjust.

I'm just feeling raw and tired. I want the twins to be "real" to everyone else too even though they can't see them. I want other to care and ask how they are doing and be interested that Nora was given breast milk today and all the other silly little details of their progress.

I've decided that I'm going to take pictures each Wednesday to track their progress.

I must sleep. Tomorrow is another long day.

Nora
Ray

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deb, they're beautiful!

As a future SMC (working on getting myself knocked up), I'm already anticipating difficulties re help from friends and family in the beginning. You ARE a strong woman! And an inspiration to those of us still on the road.

Kisses from the east coast to Nora and Ray!

Katrina said...

Love the new pictures! Ray even has his eyes open! and look at all that hair for this early on! :)

I am so sorry that your cousin may not be coming out...can your mom come help you? I could not have done it without my parents...one stayed with Eliana and the other shuttled me to and from the hospital all the time...if I lived closer, i would absolutely come over to help out. And I am thrilled to bits to hear that Nora is taking some breastmilk already!

BTW, are the babies drinking from bottles or being fed through a feeding tube?

Laura in L.A. said...

Debbie, I'm sorry that your sisters' reactions were disappointing. Unless people have had NICU experience, it can be upsetting to see very premature babies. Most folks get used to it really quickly, however, and I'm sure your family will, too.

To me, "NICU Auntie," your babies are huge, almost a whopping three pounds! We just have to fatten them up a little, and home we go!

Ray and Nora are very real to me, and I want to hear every blessed detail. I also want to know how you are feeling, and how Max is adjusting, and how Shadow is doing. All of it!

Love and prayers to all of you!

Love, Laura

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about your sister and your cousin. I will definitely be around to help out on weekends to watch Max so that you can visit the babies.

It is sad about your sister's reaction. I have not experienced that before while working in the NICU so I have to say I was surprised at that. I wonder if it was just weird or overwhelming to her? I am not sure. Everyone who usually sees preemies for the first time is just so impressed at how small they are. Maybe she will get used to seeing them as time goes on? I know that must have really hurt. I am so sorry.

Anonymous said...

I've been away for a week and just checked your blog and saw that you had the babies! Congratulations. They are beautiful. You are a great mother! Nancy in AK

Aimee said...

Deb- they are just beautiful!!! Hang in there, they'll be home before you know it. Easy said I know!