Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Lil' Things

I woke up and seriously thought of just going back to sleep after using the potty. But, rallied and pumped my best output yet 5 cc from each breast and walked it over to the NICU thinking I'd just go in and spend 5 minutes with each child before trying to get more sleep. The nurse told me Ray was going to get his first breast milk/feeding at 3am. Forget more sleep, of course I stayed. While I was there, I got to change both of their diapers. I almost started bawling in joy. Something so small that I would have just taken for granted. I can't tell you how happy just being for that meant. As I told the nurse, just the picture and extra motivation the next time I set up to pump. Cause lets face it, pumping can be a real drag sometimes. Next feeding is at 9 am. I'll be there. It all made me actually feel like a mom to them instead of just not so innocent bystander.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've gotta hand it to you -- the urge to roll over and go to sleep must be so strong, but you powered through and pumped. Yay, Deb! I can imagine it feels like that's all you can do for them, pump and just be with them. So cool you got to change diapers! It must help not only in really getting to feel like you're mothering them, but also to get over that sense that I know I'd have that they were just so fragile. Well, I guess they are at some level, but just having that confidence in handling such tiny babies. I hope you get to do some kangaroo care soon, and start snuggling with those little sweeties.

Jo

QuiltingChaos said...

Way to pump! I hope the 9am feeding went well...
-Margie

Aimee said...

It's the little thing that make a big difference! How wonderful! I bet you can't wait till the day you can take both your beautiful babes home. ;o) I'm so happy for you!!!

Anonymous said...

Great job on the pumping!!! You are doing a wonderful job for your babies!! I cant wait to see new pictures of your little beauties! It looks like Nora is blond and Ray is brunette?

CC

Anonymous said...

thinking of you!
Sounds like they are both doing really well.
sending xoxo

Jess said...

Congrats on the birth of these two beauties! (And sorry I'm delayed in reading.) So glad you could be there for Ray's first feeding, and for the diaper changes, it must have been wonderful. Looking forward to continuing good news!!