Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Figured it out

I think I figured out why the breastfeeding gig with Mr. R isn't working, or at least hasn't been. I think it has to do with the nasal canulas for the oxygen. Tonight, or rather, very early this morning, I woke to a fussy boy a bit earlier than expected and saw that the tape that had been holding the nasal prongs in place had come loose on one side at the prongs were in or about his mouth and he wasn't amused and not calling it a good meal. Because I was tired, lazy, overly full, and would have to move from the bed to put it back on I decided I would attempt to feed him then go deal with it. And, to my surprise, it actually worked for a change. Being the analytic over analyzing kind of gal I am, I had to ponder the situation. The verdict is the nasal prongs. They had them on him in the hospital and I wasn't getting things to work. I asked for a consult and things worked great. I had a second consult and things worked great. I brought him home and things went in the toilet. The difference? They had moved him from the prongs to a nasal catheter (small tube into the nose that is the size they used to gavage food into the babes not yet suckling) for awhile and we switched back to the prongs when he came home. Now, to test my theory a bit to see if it is just a coincidence or there is merit to it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

From one over-analyzing kind of gal to another... way to do, Deb! :)

Anonymous said...

So glad R is doing well at home. Is he on oxygen all the time? Do you have to monitor his sats?

I'll keep praying for little N. :)

QuiltingChaos said...

Completely unrelated... did you know someone else had a blog with the same name???
http://koolaidmomwannabe.blogspot.com/

-Margie