Friday, December 10, 2004

8 dpo, but whose counting....

...not me. I am not in a 2ww, remember? While I haven't been able to completely avoid and deny that this is so, it is much easier proceding like I'm not. If I get a positive, wonderful. If not, yes, I will be sad and disappointed, but I will have a plan. I'm still really hoping it works. I am just not expecting it.

Eight days down. Only 5 more until first beta and 7 more until second beta. I talked them into letting me test at 13 and 15 dpo instead of 14 and 16. When I was talking to the nurse coordinator, she said so you want to test on Wednesday and Friday, on days 17 and 19. I started laughing and said, yes on the Wednesday and Friday, but at 13 and 15 if testing one day early won’t be a problem. I think she was serious, like I wanted to wait LONGER. I realized that she wasn't crazy, just streched a bit too thin right now.

I decided today that this has really been the most screwed up cycle. Yes, it could have been worse, but not by much. If it works, it really will be one for the record books.

I went to the dentist yesterday. I really like that guy and was glad that I was able to talk to him and the staff one more time before my insurance gets changed and I have to start seeing someone new. The verdict? Bacterial infection in my upper, right, second molar. The one and only tooth that I have had a root canal on. The treatment? Six days of antibiotics four times a day. I decided that maybe the black cloud I have been imagining following me around maybe was just grey instead.

I was starting to feel better, but right now I have a headache and toothache that won’t quit. I took some Tylenol PM. I hope it kicks in soon.

I went to the acupuncturist today and couldn’t seem to settle or relax. I was so tired when I got there I was sure I may actually be able to fall asleep this time, but I was so fidgety. I couldn’t seem to lay still. While I was there, I met another patient who saw my name on the sign in sheet on her way out. When she found out I was still there, she wanted to meet me. She got pregnant on her 6th IVF cycle and had twins 11 weeks ago. She looked great. She went to the same clinic for her last IVF that I am using. It’s funny. When she introduced herself, I knew exactly who she was. We both knew each others stories from IVFC even though we never posted on the same thread together. She posted on a “sister” thread that I would just lurk on most of the time since it was mostly married women many of whom were stay at home mom’s going for more and I was single and working full time. She actually referred my acu to another person who referred her to me. So, in a round about way, she is the reason I am going to the acu that I like so much. It is a small world. We had an instant bond and the acu finally said enough, she had to treat me before she fell even further behind.

I decided that it is a good thing that I am a fairly intelligent, level headed, meticulous person. It must be even more difficult to go through this process otherwise. On my way back from acu, I stopped to pick up more progesterone. If I hadn’t had previous cycles, had left over progesterone, or looked more closely at the suppositories I received for the IVF cycle, this cycle would be in even more trouble that it currently is. They tried to give me 100 mg. I told them it should be 200 mg. The insisted I was wrong. I ask them to call the dr. office (which thankfully hadn’t closed yet). I left with 200 mg.

Lesson No. 1: You must be your own best advocate. If something doesn’t seem or feel right. Ask. Check it out. Keep asking until you feel comfortable.

No comments: