Sunday, October 23, 2005

Nanny Update

Friday was much better with Niomi. She got here at 10 and I was home. This was a better start right off the bat. She took over on Max while I made a few phone calls and took a shower, a shower where I was able to both wash and dry my hair. What a luxury! Then, I made a few more calls. I came out of the office around noon to make some lunch and Max was a bit fussy. I thought, he is hungry and wants to eat. I let Niomi take him for a walk without adding my comments telling myself that she needs to learn his signs and that I told myself I would not butt in today. Repeating to myself over and over that just because it is different, doesn't mean it is bad. She will learn to pick up on his cues as I have.

She came back about 20 – 30 minutes later and he was screaming his head off. I stayed in the office and didn’t try to go out and butt in. However, I was so happy she came in and said, I think he is hungry, do you want to feed him or do you want me to give him a bottle? Of course, I jumped at the chance to feed him. I held him close and feed him. When he drifted off, I went out and put him in the swing and turned control back over to Niomi. She didn’t try to clean anything at all until I was feeding him. It made me feel a lot better.

It was still hard, but not as hard. I did not ball my eyes out at the end of the day. The time went by very fast and I thought that is half a work day. It was gone in a blink of an eye. I can do double of that. I can get used to it. It’s not my preference, but I can do it. I actually think I will be fine once I start back to work, but am glad I decided on a longer transition and that Niomi is available to do it. I have 8 more work days for a total of 10 days before I start back. My “to do” list is so long there is no chance of actually getting everything done even if I don’t squander my time while Niomi is here like I did last week.

In other news, my mom has been in the hospital all weekend because she was having chest and shoulder pain. She had an episode like this a few years ago and it was an infected esophagus aggravated by acid reflux. They think it is the same thing, but since the symptoms are so similar to heart attack/heart problems they wanted to do testing. Both of my sisters that live local are out of town this weekend leaving me to deal with this and mom who has been bored and very high maintenance. Haven’t gotten much done other than deal with that all weekend and getting the dogs walk.

Haven’t been sleeping that great the last few days so I am a bit tired. Max is still sleeping between 5 – 7 hours a stretch, but I haven’t been going to sleep when he does and haven’t been able to fall back asleep. On Saturday morning, I just fell back to sleep when my mom called all bored and chipper saying “I was so sure you would be up.” I explained that I now have an infant, my sleep patterns are not as predictable and reminded her that she does have a daughter on the East Coast where it was 9:30 am. She hadn’t thought about that. I laying down next to Max to nap. He slept great. I got probably 10 phone calls either from my mom or from someone in the family wanting an update. Sigh. I want to try again today, like NOW, for a nap, but am sure that as soon as I do, she will call back. I hope the test results come back soon and she gets freed. Both of us think the tests will show she is fine and she will be released. Please let it be soon.

Hmmm. I thought about something else I wanted to blog about when I was walking this morning, but can’t think of what it was right now. It was way better than this update, but my mind isn’t at full functioning capacity right now and I have no idea what it was right now. All I remember was that it would have been good.

I did manage to get 3 (out of about 50) thank you cards written, addressed, and stamped this weekend. I’m feeling quite proud of that.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

I am so glad that Friday was a better day with the nanny. You are so fortunate to be able to afford in home day care, and to be working at home so that you can continue breastfeeding! :) I hope that this transition back to work goes well!

I am sorry to hear about your mom. I pray that everythign is OK and that she will soon be released. Keep us updated!