Tuesday, October 04, 2005

My Poor Baby

He woke up screaming from his nap. That is just not like him. He usually wakes up slowly and in a decent mood. I calmed him down and fed him and thought we had the blues behind us. I found out while walking the dogs how wrong I was. We had to turn back he was so unhappy. First time that has ever happened. The dogs were less than thrilled. They couldn’t figure out why we turned around and kept trying to go the other way all the while Max was screaming at the top of his lungs. Very stressful. I got us home without any of my neighbors coming out to find out what I was doing to my poor child.

Turns out he had very bad gas. I think we have it all out and settled and he is back asleep. I hope. It was a bit rough going there for awhile and he was just so uncomfortable and unhappy. I’m so glad I got my rocking chair. After I got him settled down and fed him again, he just lay on my chest and zone out for awhile and I was able to rock and pat the air bubbles away.

I think it was the spinach quiche I had for lunch. The first night home from the hospital, we had a terrible night because of gas and I had eaten a lot of this dish my friend had brought over. I think it is a combination of egg and spinach together that does it because I have had eggs and spinach separately with no problem for either of us.

Well, I had better go to sleep as well since I didn’t get much last night just in case he wakes up again and this little episode is behind us. Patience and calm are much easier to come by when you are not tired and stressed out.

Nights like tonight have me counting my blessings that he isn’t really colicky and is usually a pretty calm and happy guy. It is stressful enough in the small isolated times it has occurred for Max and I. I can only imagine how hard it must be for those whose babies are fussier much more often.

No comments: