Sunday, October 30, 2005

Much better day

My happy baby came back last night after I posted. We took a bath and he splashed and played and smiled and laughed. Very fun! I fed him one last time and he was out like a light. We both had a good night sleep with one short feeding session around 2 I think. I don’t think either of us fully woke up for it.

Today, he woke up in a good mood and pretty much stayed that way all day. Got a little fussy this afternoon, but I now know the “gas” scream and gave him the medicine much quicker and short cycled a major meltdown.

We did a bunch of errands and then my mom came for a very simple dinner. We had a nice walk and Max is now napping in his crib. I always worry a bit when he sleeps for a long time around this time of night that he won’t be ready to sleep at a decent hour (for me) or will be up during the night and want to play. I’m told sleep begets sleep and I’m sure not going to wake him up if moving him from my lap and putting him in his crib doesn’t do it, he really needs it.

I’m starting to make a conscious effort to transition Max into sleeping in his crib. I’m not ready to have him sleep there at night, but I am putting him in the crib during the day if he isn’t napping in the swing or his car seat or bouncy. After changing him, I have been placing him there for a few minutes to wash my hands or do short things. I am also playing with him a bit more and have fed him a few times in his room. I’m trying to get him used to sights and the smells.

I’m reading the Baby Whisperer book. I read some of it while I was pregnant, but it is much more meaningful reading it now that Max is here and we have lived together for awhile. The author is a big proponent of a schedule and doesn’t think highly of feeding on demand. She says every child can be put onto an E.A.S.Y. (Eat, Activity, Sleep, You) schedule. I have paid more attention today and our schedule is more like Sleep, Eat, Activity, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Activity, Eat, Sleep. I’m only a few chapters in and not sure I agree with all of her philosophies, but I am finding it interesting reading. It has got me thinking about things I hadn’t before.

I’m very tired. Maybe I will take a “me” bath before Max wakes up. Usually, he only sleeps 5 – 10 minutes when put in his crib and I think he has been there for at least 15 min. A new record. The only problem with the bath idea is that if he wakes up while I am in the tub, I probably won’t hear him unless he really screams and I don’t want him to have a negative association like that since I am working on the transition. I guess I could try to set up one of the three sets of monitors I was given that have just been sitting in a drawer, but like I said, I am tired and that seems like too much work.

Three more days and then I am back to work. It’s funny. I remember my last day and how hard it was and thinking I was going to miss it so much. HAHAHAHAHA.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Don't worry about a schedule, he'll get himself on one eventually. Nothing I did put Brendan on a schedule. Somewhere between 3-4 months he kind of settled onto one naturally.

Enjoy these last few days at home!!!