Sunday, August 28, 2005

My Birth Announcement and Story

I am pleased to announce that Max Alexander was born on Wednesday, August 17th at 11:01 pm weighing 8 lbs and 21 inches. It has been a busy few weeks as we adjust to a new routine together and we have had lots of family and friend visitors. My recovery has been terrific. Max has been battling jaundice that has required daily monitoring/blood draws, a few visits to the pediatrician, and phototherapy (which he is still on) causing our first few weeks together to be more structured and stressful than I would have liked. I labored for about a total of 9 hours with 2 of those pushing resulting in my beautiful baby boy.

When I went in for my 34 week dr. apt., I was put on bed rest because I was already dilated to 2 cm and the baby’s head was “right there” according to the dr. I was let off bed rest at 36 weeks. At 38 weeks, I was dilated to 4 cm and my OB gave me the option of sending me to the hospital to have my water broken and deliver “before the weekend”. I declined opting to see what happened. After walking around at 4 cm for more than a week, I became concerned that I maybe dilating further without realizing it and concerned that I may deliver too fast. Plus, my cousin had extended her vacation by a week and I really wanted to have the baby while she was here.

On Tuesday, August 16th, I called my OB and told her I was ready to move to induction. We agreed that the next day, Wednesday, August 17th we would get the ball rolling by having her strip my membrane/break my water. I got a call on at 8:30 am on Wednesday telling me the hospital could take me now and to head over to the hospital. I called my doula and my coach, showered, got things ready and headed over. My cousin drove me and my coach met us there. We arrived around 11 – 11:30 am. My doula arrived within the hour. My OB was supposed to head over during the office lunch break to get things started, but she had two other patients delivering over at another hospital one who was ready to push so we just hung out for awhile and I was given permission to eat a sandwich against the recommendation of my nurse who was afraid I would vomit it all up on her in a few hours. While I did vomit it up a few hours later, I was able to keep my promise and not vomit on her. My pregnancy ended much like it began with quite a bit of puking involved.

I don’t have the notes from my doula so my timing may be a tad off, but I think my OB got there around 2 or 2:30 and broke my water. She said I was dilated to 5 cm. I still had not had one contraction or any pain. After my water was broken, I did start having some contractions, but they weren’t bad. I found the whole water breaking thing the most disgusting thing about the whole process. Not the actual breaking itself, just afterwards. When I got up to move to the birthing ball or anytime I moved, more water just gushed out all over me and the floor. I just found it gross to have it dripping down my legs. After a period of time and a required amount of monitoring, I was given a pad and permission to go roam the halls. We did this for awhile and I ran into a couple I had met at our clinic who was in the hospital on bed rest with multiples. We chatted for awhile. I still wasn’t in much pain. I could feel myself cramping and having mild contractions, but it was very manageable.

On one of our trips back to the delivery ward for a potty break, my nurse requested we meet back in the room in 30 min. for another cervical check. I was dilated to 7 at that point. All of a sudden, the contractions started getting very intense and painful. I also started my puking at this point, but managed to make it into the puke container each time. The pain got so bad that I couldn’t talk or think clearly or get into any comfortable position. It just plain hurt. While I thought I could go forward without pain medication, I decided that I would not enjoy the birth and the only motivation would be to say that I had done it. I decided to ask for the epidural and never regretted it. It took the edge off, but I could still feel the contractions and move my legs. While I was confined to the bed because of the epidural, I was still able to move into the squat position and move around quite a bit. A lot of this is a blur and I don’t remember the details, I remember someone commenting that my contractions were “natural” not pitocin ones and thinking that they must be really strong and consistent. I wish I had the chart paper to look at them.

Around 9 pm, I was told I was fully dilated and that it was time to push. I ended up pushing for 2 hours, but the first hour was “practice” as I got the hang of it. I found it to be very much a learned behavior. It was also a lot of work and very tiring. I remember thinking/commenting that I was glad that I had not had a long and painful labor and that it would have been so much harder and more tiring trying to push. They gave me a balloon to try to blow up to focus the pushing. At first, I just ended up pushing my stomach which caused, yes, more vomiting. After a time, I got the hang of it and in a good position for me (legs completely spread eagle with feet on either end of the squat bar). I think all of the hiking and squatting to pick up dog poop during my pregnancy really came in handy during labor in general, but specifically when pushing.

When his head started to crown, they moved a mirror so that I could see the results of my pushing. I found this very helpful. I was given the option of reaching down and feeling his head. I wanted no part of that, but was glad to be able to see what was going on. I was able to see the results of the pushing and it helped me to hold the pressure during contractions so that his head didn’t retreat loosing all of my hard work. It was just incredible. I’m not sure, exactly, when my OB arrived, but it seemed like I delivered within minutes of her arrival. I can see how the whole pushing would be very difficult, if not impossible, if someone had an epidural that was so strong that they couldn’t feel the contractions or when/how to push.

I didn’t think I wanted a video of the baby actually being born or any pictures of “way down there” but my birth coach figured out how to do a short video on my new digital camera and I have a short video of him coming out. It is just incredible. I’m so glad that I do have it. In talking about it afterwards and reviewing the video she asked me to look at my face and commented that I looked like I was in pain. I told her that I was, I could feel it and feel the baby’s head stretching my perineum. It was manageable, but painful, even with the epidural.

In the end, I had a small tear because the baby’s fist was up by his chin and nicked me on the way out. I was just in awe afterwards. I couldn’t believe that I finally had a baby in my arms. I was able to have him brought to me right afterwards, but he had a bit of grunting which could indicate respiratory problems so he was taken an put on a bit of oxygen and taken to the nursery for a few hours for observation. He was back rooming with me by 5 am.

I couldn’t have asked for a better labor and delivery experience. It was different than I thought it would be, but the most incredible experience of my life.

I had gone into the hospital thinking I would name him Zachary Edward. I took one look at him and decided that he didn’t look like a Zach, but a Max.

Max Alexander was born at 11:01 pm on Wednesday, August 17th. He was 8 lbs and 21 inches long. He is just so beautiful and perfect that I can get teary eyed just thinking about it.

We were released from the hospital on Friday. Max’s jaundice levels were a bit high requiring daily monitoring/blood draws. After a few days, they continued to climb to a level such that he was put on home phototherapy lights of which he is still on. Because of this, our first weeks home has been much busier and structured/scheduled than I would like, but I am happy that this is more of a hassle rather than a true health concern.

I am happier than I ever remember being in my life as I deal with things that a mom has to deal with like a sick child or projectile poop or lack of sleep. I just look at Max and how perfect for me he is and know I am one of the luckiest, most fortunate people ever. I am truly blessed that he is now in my life.

1 comment:

Jen said...

that was absolutly beautiful :) I'm so happy for you Deb :) I only hope that my story (hopefully this time next year) will be as wonderful.

CONGRATULATIONS!