Friday, May 30, 2008

GD Monitoring - Day 1

I think day 1 of glucose monitoring went well. I think my highest rating was 167 this morning after having a P&J sandwich with fruit. I was actually told no J, but well it was more of a fruit spread than an actual J so I added a little to see what would happen. The other two readings were about 131 and 136 if I remember correctly...the forms are on the other side of the house and heaven forbid I walk across my small house to go check. Now, when I asked the nurse what range they should be in, she wouldn't tell me until I came back because she didn't want me trying to "game the system" and just wanted me to follow the food plan. However, a quick internet search gave me the information I needed that basically anything under 180 an hour or two after eating is considered good.

The truth is that I'm really just eating like I normally would after feeling so sick last night. I am using the plan as a guide. And, I'm completely out of yogurt and milk so am way behind on dairy today. Well, I'm not really out of milk as there is most of a gallon in there, but it doesn't taste right/I can't drink it. I really need to make it to the store tomorrow to get more.

Anyway, the plan calls for meal, snack, meal, snack, meal snack. At least during the week, but really most often that just doesn't work for me. What works better for me is meal, snack, snack, meal, meal, (middle of the night) snack. Since I work with so many people on the east coast, my work schedule is usually back to back meetings from 9 am to 2 pm PT and I barely get time to pee and grab a snack. I'm just going to do what I can do, keep track of things and see what they have to say when I go back as long as my numbers stay low and under range. My guess is that they are going to get on me more about eating more calories and all the portions and the lack of weight gain than my sugar levels, but as long as the babies are growing and developing on track, I'm not going to worry about that either. The truth of the matter is, I weigh enough and was overweight (really that O word that I really don't like much) to start so I really don't need to gain weight as long as the babies are developing properly. It is already getting hard enough to walk around with pelvic pressure and general comfortablenesses. All that will just be much worse the heavier I get. Now, I'm not purposely trying to keep my weight down, but I'm not complaining that I haven't gained either because truthfully, the less I gain the healthier I think I will be and the easier I think the last few months of this pregnancy will be.

Anyway, while the monitoring is a bit of a pain just because you have to pay a bit more attention to the clock and deal with the whole remembering to test an hour later, but I think it all went fairly well especially since I can't find/don't have the list that shows portion size and what foods go to what category and I'm going from memory. Since I've done WW and Atkins and South Beach and Jenny Craig for that matter over the years, this is really just more of the same so it really isn't that hard. It's just one more thing to do when I'm already tired and busy, but it's fine...all for the cause.

No comments: