Thursday, May 11, 2006

B #1 – Bath

I really think that taking a bath might be Max’s favorite time of day/thing to do. He gets so excited when we go into the bathroom and he hears the water running. He laughs when I take of his diaper. He goes ballistic (in a thrilled happy way) when I take the hand held water head and spray his head, face, shoulders, back, etc. He just lights up. He started "really" crawling the first time when I put him down in the hallway outside the bathroom and started filling the tub. He had made it to the bathroom before I could turn around with this big grin on his face. LOL. I was just trying to give him a bit of incentive. LOL.

He also really likes to swing on the swings on the park and will laugh and get this big ole’ smile on his face while swinging. However, I think the “bath event” is the big winner. He gets excited when he knows he is getting a bath. He gets excited and enjoys the actual bath. He even gets excited and enjoys the “after” bath.

What is “after” bath? It is where I wrap him in a towel and he stands at the side of the tub looking in while I dump the baby tub water out and he watches the water go down the drain. This is a very important part of the bath ritual that can’t be skipped at least at this point in time. He is so fascinated by it.

We end the bath ritual by me holding him and looking in the mirror signing look at that baby in the mirror song. You don’t know it? Look at that baby in the mirror, the mirror. Look at that baby I see. Look at that baby in the mirror, the mirror. Yes, the one looking back at me cute as can be. Okay, so it is another dumb made up song, but it amuses my kid so who cares if I am a dork.

The only part of this whole bath thing that Max dislikes is getting dressed again afterwards. If he was dressed and you change him, he doesn’t have a problem. But, after a bath, even when he was an infant, he has hated to get dressed afterwards.

The only problem I have with bath time is how wild and dangerous it is. Max seems to think the Infant Tub is a jungle gym. He wants to stand, crawl, twist, turn, and generally put himself into one risky dangerous situation after another. If he doesn’t crack his head open or break a limb from falling, by the time his is a year old. I will be amazed. As it is, I have such a tight grip on him his skin is red from the pressure of my hold. Luckily, I haven’t bruised him yet, but it is probably just a matter of time. Every night, I think…I really need to research a better option for bath time. I think I have heard something about an inflatable tub you put inside the big tub, but haven’t had time to check it out.

One day, he was leaning forward and his face went under water. He quickly sat up and thought about it. Purposely put his face back in the water. Sat up again. Put his face in the water. And, sat up again. I think he did it 3 or 4 times. I could almost see him thinking about cause and effect. He hasn’t purposely put his face in the water again like that, but he has slipped under a time or two and doesn’t seem perturbed or upset when I pull him back up. I repeatedly, but him back on his bottom telling him we need to sit in the tub. He quickly moves on into another dangerous position. Forget leaving the room, I need to keep my eyes and hands on him the entire time.

So, his favorite time of day is probably my most stressful. Yet, I do it night, after night, after night. After all, it is part of the night time routine. And, he is such a messy eater I really want to make sure we get the food out of his hair, from behind his ear, and out from his nostrils. Good thing he likes the direct shower type spray. LOL. When he starts getting too wild, it is time to get out and move on to the next B. I really do need to find a safer alternative.


Max at about 3 weeks old. I think this was his first bath.

It was a week or two later when I thought I had scared him for life and only gave him baths in the big tub with me.


Max taking a quick bath on Easter. Anytime that involves being naked and water is fine with him.

The next few were taken a few weeks ago before he got so wild I could actually hold a camera (or phone) without worry that he would drown or injure himself. Since then, I keep both hands free at all times.


A water bottle. A toy good for just about any occassion.


I wonder what is over the edge?


Hmmm. I bet I can reach that and pull myself up.

A quick update on me: Started spotting today. Decided to self medicate and take 4 suppositories today instead of 3. I thought about email my RE to tell him this, but I know from past experience that he would be fine with this as you can never have too much progesterone (after ovulation) only too little. I think likely this means the cycle really is a bust, but have decided not to even try to predict the outcome either way since I spotted and cramped on and off my entire first trimester with Max. I could list 3-5 reasons I thought the cycle will be negative. I could list 3 – 5 reasons why maybe it will be positive. The truth of the matter is that time and time again, I have been proven completely wrong by objective fact based data during the ttc process so I am just going to acknowledge the fact that it could go either way at this point and that 24 hours from now I should know for sure either way. No, no HPT’s for me. I have had negative HPT’s too often even when my beta was high enough it should have registered. And, with Max, I was so sure the cycle was a bust, it didn’t even occur to me. I feel most confident just waiting for the beta. Tomorrow will tell the tale.

No comments: