Sunday, May 07, 2006

B #3 – Books

My son still does not have huge love of books. Sometimes I worry that he will be a dumb jock. But, then I assure myself that he is much to intelligent for that. However, I do worry that he will not have the love of books that I do. For the most part, he has little interest in books UNLESS the book does something (flaps, slides open, etc.). I have decided that he finds them too passive and he is not a passive guy. I can tell this even at 8 ½ months. The books he likes best so far/right now are ones by this guy named Charles Reasoner. They are in his sliding surprise book series. We have two that he loves, but I was getting tired reading (yes, already) so I bought 5 more. So far he still likes the original two best. LOL. They are Who’s Peeking? and Whose House Is This?

The other author that he seems to like is Todd Parr. A friend gave me The Family Book, which Max really likes. It has a great message about families and how some have 2 moms or two dads and some families have one parent instead of two, etc. It isn’t a board book and Max has already crinkled the pages and ripped the cover, but it is off to being a favorite and I don’t think I will ever tire of reading him that one. I bought The Mommy Book and The Okay Book, both by Todd Parr and Max is able to sit through them both most of the time. And, I really like the messages in them and will probably invest in more of his stuff.

I have incorporated reading into Max’s evening ritual. It was hard since at the end of the day, he is tired and is attention span is at its worst. I have been dressing him from his bath on the floor of his room and letting him “brush” his teeth (but, that is a topic for another day). The dressing is becoming more of a battle because he wants to climb, roll, sit, explore, crawl, etc. Basically, do anything, but lay there. And, he is tired. Eventually, I have to pin him for a minute to properly adjust the diaper I have put on him as he crawls away causing cries of protest. And, I dress him the rest of the way while he is standing, sitting, crawling away as best as possible.

Once he is dressed, I grab a few books, usually 3, and bring him closer to me to read them to him. If he struggles and wants to get away, I have been letting him, but continue to read and then show him each page until we have read them all. If one of the books seems to have really captured his interest, I will read that one again for him.

As mentioned above, he is most interested in the Reasoner sliding surprise books; Todd Parr’s books, this small board book about shapes (like 5 pages), and this English/Spanish board book I got about cars, airplanes, and other modes of transportation (like 6 pages).

I always have a book in the car with him and books in all the places he plays. He will pick them up, look at them, chew on them, before moving on.

Oddly enough, the time he seems most interested in books is when he is eating. I guess he figures he is trapped anyway. Naomi and I both noticed that he seemed “bored” while eating. This translated into fussing, spitting food out, and general behavior that we would not want to encourage. If you place a book open on the table and talk to him about it while feeding him, he seems content and interested. What a funny kid I have.

Anyway, he is getting there on the book thing. I read to him a few times a day for short periods. I think Naomi reads to him on occasion as well. But, for the moment … action books… short books …simple books…these hold his attention best.

Quick update on me since Max is still sleeping. I had blood drawn on Friday for a progesterone test. I should get the results on Monday. I asked my RE why he asked for the test and he said to make sure that the follicle that develop really contained an egg. If the progesterone is under 4 it means the follicle was not an egg producing one and is probably a cyst (fluid filled one) instead. I will not be surprised at all if this is the case as I have been having continued discomfort on my left side, especially if I have a full bladder or need to have a BM. Yes, I could be wrong. In fact, I am probably wrong since I am notoriously bad at reading any “signs” during the ttc process. The only time I was ever completely right was when I thought I was miscarrying and I did. But, I don’t think you can even count that because there were several times that I was sure I was miscarrying Max and yet, here he is. I certainly did not think I was pregnant with him when I was.

So, I am busy doing things and keeping busy. Waiting. Waiting. Waiting. On Monday, I should know whether I at least ovulated. Next Friday, I should know if I am pregnant. Since I don’t think it was an egg producing follicle, I certainly don’t think I am pregnant. However, I have refrained from drinking alcohol even though there were several times this last week where I really felt like it. I really don’t think drinking this early would make a difference either way, but I don’t want to have any doubts or regrets so I have passed.

So far, I still say going through the ttc process is much easier the second time with a growing healthy and happy child to talk to and play with and cuddle and teach. It is one part of my life and on my mind an awful lot, but it is in the back ground. It isn’t the main event like it was on round one.

Hmm. Kid still sleeping. Going on 3 hours now. I think he is having a growth spurt. Yesterday, he ate and ate and ate and drank and drank and drank. And, it was a busy day with his only other male cousin in town from Atlanta. He had no afternoon nap.

Okay, kid is up and phone rang. Must go. Have a poopy diaper to change and a kid to feed lunch.

No comments: