Sunday, May 14, 2006

Great Day!

Today was a wonderful day. Just exactly how I wanted it to go. Max, Shadow, City Boy, and I just hanging out. Okay, well, as usual, Shadow and City spent most of the day outside avoiding us, but they are in with me now. I guess they have already forgiven me for the bath/shower they got this evening after our walk/before dinner even if they are not yet completely dry. LOL. It HAD to be done. I have been meaning to do it. The clincher was when Shadow laid down and got all wet in a water puddle on the walk. I figured, she was already wet, I may as well get her clean. And, poor City, he came around to see what was going on and I got him in on the wash. He was less than thrilled, but need it just as badly as Shadow.

Max gave me a wonderful present. He let me sleep until 6 am. I was not expecting the night to go so well because we were running all day Saturday and he napped in the car, we got home and to bed late. Usually, this means a wake up or two and an early rise. He slept through until 6. We will see if I can be so lucky two nights in a row.

The park that we walked around this morning has a matted play area instead of sand so instead of just swinging with Max as has become our morning routine. I let him crawl all around. Then, he crawled up and around the actual structure itself between my legs to prevent him from falling over one of the sides. I guess he really wore himself out because we came home, had a bit of breakfast, and I put him down for a nap. The kid slept 3 hours. We just played around the house all afternoon and Max helped me find more things I need to child proof. Around 2:30 he got a bit whinny, but I didn’t think he was tired enough to sleep so I tried a bottle. He happily cuddled and sucked down 4 oz. before wanting to play/crawl some more. Around 3:30, I tried to put him down for a nap and he sucked down another 4 oz. but just wouldn’t settle to sleep even though I could tell he was tired so I offered him more formula and the kids sucked down another 4 oz. for a total of 12 oz. of formula within 90 min. (that is a record for him) and took a 60 min. nap. I tried to give him dinner, but I guess he still wasn’t hungry so we took our evening walk, washed the dog and cat, then had dinner, played a bit more, had a bath, and he was in bed by 8 pm with no fuss and no muss after drinking another 8 oz. of formula.

Really, it was perfect. Okay, well, not perfect, exactly, since I am having a heavy enough period that I ended up bleeding through and not realizing it until after we finished dinner and I saw “red” on the chair cushion. And, I saw a flea on City while I was bathing him, which I killed, but freaked me out a bit because I detest fleas. He will be getting a flea treatment tomorrow as soon as I can get some stuff for him. I am brining in the mail/watching one of my neighbors houses while they are out of town and one of their sprinklers is leaking (so I turned off their water and left a message for them). So, maybe NOT perfect, but very nice. Exactly the day I wanted to have.

It was nice for us just to be home and hang out with each other. Max was able to play independently for stretches at a time while I did things like make sure all the sharp knives were out of the drawers that he (probably) couldn’t reach, but after the lamp incident, I am not taking chances. He found the small metal/mesh colander in the drawer in the kitchen and had a wonderful 15+ min. playing with that. Then I gave him the wooden rolling pin and that kept him entertained for another 5 or so minutes. So, Max wandered and explored the house and I made sure that everything poisonous was out from under the sink, all of the metal hooks were off the entertainment center, etc. We read book. We walked several times around the house, away from my fake Fichus Tree, which is a particular draw of his second behind getting to the dog food and water bowl (which were put up on the counter for the day to avoid choking and/or drowning…after all Shadow didn’t mind since she was outside all day anyway).

I talked on the phone to many people, but not too much. While Max napped, I got the house straitened, the dishwasher empted, sent a few emails, and stuff like that. But, mostly, Max and I just “were” today.

It was very nice. And, I am now very tired.

No comments: