Tuesday, February 12, 2008

on coffee

I am not a coffee drinker. Never have been. I don't think I have ever actually even drank a whole cup of coffee. Sure, I have tasted it. Taken a sip here or there, but I really can't remember the last time. Maybe even over 20 years ago. About a month ago, my mom came over with a cup of coffee. Of course, Max got the warnings, don't touch/it's hot/etc. and I had to remind my mom not to leave it where he could get it/burn himself several times. Since then the whole idea of coffee has intrigued Max. When I ask him what he wants to drink, I get back "coffee" in response. When I tell him his options are milk or water, he counters "coffee". Now, he hadn't ever had coffee, but he was so sure he wanted it. On election day last week, I put on a pot of coffee for the poll workers. And, to lure Max inside so I could go get it for those who wanted it, I told him he could have some. I gave him a big disposable cup with about 2 sips in it. Oh, you should have seen how proud he was. He carried it around, ruthlessly making sure every poll worker and voter acknowledged how cool it was/he was because he had coffee. After it sufficiently cooled, he went and sat in a chair and took a sip. The expression on his face was priceless and although he sputtered it out and didn't touch another drop, it didn't stop him from strutting around with his coffee cup. What's even funnier is that he has been getting into soup lately and I gave him one of those on the go ones the other day that has a lid. He immediately insisted it was his coffee, not soup. He's had a bit every night for the last few nights wanting to know "where's my coffee". Oh, this son of mine. He does make me laugh.

No comments: