Friday, July 28, 2006

Yep, I’m unique

My RE told me today that I was the only woman he has ever met that had a better success with IUI’s than with IVF’s and he didn’t recommend me trying another IVF. This was completely unprompted as we were getting settled. Great! Good thing I really like my RE. ** Yes, I am unique, but would rather not have this be my claim to fame. It’s pretty bad when your RE (as all RE’s) who pushes IVF all the time to increase odds tells you in not so many words, not to bother again and just to stick with IUI’s.

IUI is complete and I am in the 2ww of cycle number 7. Lead follicle was 25 and the smaller follicle was 17. Lining was a tad smaller than usual, but still decent/acceptable at 11.3. Swimmers were excellent. Dr. N was very impressed with today’s thaw rate and this donor in general. Today’s numbers were 60.9 (M/ml) and 73% motility.

My absolute favorite time in any cycle is the 12 – 24 hours after IUI because if it is going to happen, it is going to happen then. The rest is just the waiting game to find out the results. The odds aren’t great, but they are better than zero.

So, now I wait, wait, wait.

I start progesterone on Sunday. I’ll get a progesterone test 7dpo next Friday and talked my RE into adding a Lipid panel (cholesterol, etc.) for grins since the last time I had it checked was October 2004 before I got pregnant with Max. Not expecting good results on the cholesterol, but would like to see how bad it is.

Last night, I got a full 8 hours of sleep and Max got 10.5 hours. You would thing this is a good thing, but not for me. Actually, 7 hours is the perfect amount in an ideal world for me. Eight hours is too much. I have been dragging and tired all day. I can barely keep my eyes open. I do better on 4 – 5 hours than 8, but I will shut up and stop complaining now. I am sure it will not happen again any time soon.

I have not yet calculated the due date should I, against the odds, conceive and carry to term with this cycle. I am sure that I will get around to it before the end of the 2 weeks.

I am always worried that I will have ovulated too early and was worried enough this time since I got a lot of cervical mucus on Wednesday evening that I did an OPK prior to triggering just to make sure I didn’t surge early. However, another benefit of having gone through the process so many times is that I know that ovulating early is pretty darn unlikely. I saw my RE in the hall before I went into the room and he asked how I was doing. I said great, but that I am always happy to have the u/s to confirm I haven’t ovulated early and we both laughed.

The timing was perfect. There is at least one egg and maybe two. The swimmers were stellar. The lining is decent. All the pieces are together and if it is going to happen, it will happen soon. And, then we wait, wait, wait to find out the results.


** A somewhat embarrassing event occurred during my IUI today. Well, what probably SHOULD have been an embarrassing event occurred if I was an easily embarrassed, overly modest person who had not been cycling for years now and used to baring my privates and being probed on a very regular basis. However, it just shows how close my RE and I are. LOL. Don’t worry, I DO NOT have that transference love thing going on with my RE, trust me on this, but I do like him. Okay, so here is what happened…I go to slide down into the V position and put my legs into the stir-ups. I was so hot and sweaty and moist “down there” that the paper totally stuck to my @ss and the back of my legs. I make some stupid comment about “sticking” today as I gracefully (yeah, right!) tear the paper away. Dr. N gets into position and says, oh, some there is still some paper stuck and proceeded to pluck the paper off and throw it in trash like he was pulling some lint off my sweater instead of paper plastered to my privates. LOL. God, I am going to so miss cycling of I actually get pregnant on this cycle -- NOT.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK the paper bit actually made me laugh out loud. I'm so glad all the stars that can be tracked appear to be in alignment, and will hope that those that are harder see are getting in position as well. Looking forward to meeting you next week at Kaia's!

Jen said...

Oh I hope that this is it for you :) I'll be keeping my fingers crossed :) I don't know if I told you but it will be at least one year before I start TTC...*sigh* unless you know, things work out with the boy! How freaky would that be????

The Mommy said...

OMG! That was absolutely LOL funny!

Keeping my fx for you!!!!! Good luck!