Monday, July 03, 2006

Breath-Holding Spells

Very tired. Didn't get much sleep between worry of Max and reoccurring attacks of what I thought were spiders, but turns out to be little small mosquitoes. After about 10 bites and Max waking up for a bottle around 3 where I moved him to his crib for a bit, I found the culprits, but couldn’t catch them, but luckily I liberally applied some Skin So Soft and they left me alone after that. Max woke up at 4 crying and ended back in bed with me and the then the co-sleeper and then me for a bit, before I took him to his room and rocked him chest to chest for awhile. It was good for my stress and nerves and put him into a deep enough sleep he is still sleeping.

I’m glad I live in a day and age where Web MD exists. See the link below to more information on Breath Holding Spells. Max’s symptoms match the pallid description mostly. Scary stuff. Sounds like it could happen again as he gets older, but that it is harmless in the end. Maybe harmless to the child. I am sure it takes years off the parent every time it occurs. They recommend waiting for up to a minute and then calling 911 and starting assisted breathing if the child isn’t breathing on his/her own. I can tell you, God forbid, if it should ever happen again, I will not be waiting a minute before assisted breathing.

http://www.webmd.com/hw/raising_a_family/hw31829.asp

Again, scary stuff, but unlikely anything serious.

No comments: