Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Today’s Highs and Lows

I haven’t posted in a few days because not much has been going on as I wait patiently and sometimes not so patiently for my first OB appointment. However, I thought I would review a few highs and a few lows of the day.

Low: First OB appointment is NOT today, but next week instead.

High: My boss’s 2 hour staff meeting got cancelled. Instead of using the time to be a productive employee and catch up on work, I called a friend who is in her first 2ww and we went to lunch.

High: Right before lunch, my fetal heart monitor arrived.

Low: I took it to the restaurant with me and my friend who is a pediatrician and works in a NICU tested out the monitor on her wrist and arm and it was difficult to get the beat on the monitor. We both agreed that the baby's beat will be much harder to detect; that this may not be as easy as it looked; and it may not be a good idea because it may be more stressful instead of less stressful. We had a better understanding of my doctor had the following to say about fetal heart monitors:

As far as the home monitors, I think they are a big waste of your money. None of the ones available to the lay public are very good. What I've found is that most of my patients who buy them end up visiting their doctor in a panic because they can't hear the heart beat only to find out everything is OK. A much better indicator of fetal well being is monitoring the number of times the baby moves per day (at least 10). You should be able to start feeling the baby move between 15 to 20 weeks.


Low: Getting back from lunch and deciding that I am not feeling very good and that I was going to go lay down. Make it to the bed before deciding that I am going to be sick and only making it 2 steps, thus vomiting all over my bedroom floor.

Low: Trying to clean up the mess when my mom walks in. She offers to help and tries, but visible remains are still present so I must go behind her and redo.

High: My mom felt so sorry for me she went to the store and bought dog food, which I desperately needed.

High: My mom end up going out to dinner with my sister instead of me so I got a break and was able to walk the dogs early and still (barely) have enough energy to write this post.

Low: I decided I am too tired to fully read the new fetal heart monitor instruction and watch the instructional DVD tonight. So, I will save that for another day.

High: I had a nice talk with one of my neighbors on my way back from walking my dogs. She was one of the few who knew about my ttc efforts and ask how things were going. She was thrilled to hear the news and how far along I was. Both of her sisters suffered from infertility and ended up adopting. She never talked about herself in this regard (and I never asked), but she and her husband are childless and she had a full hysterectomy which was caused by a burst fibroid (I think) right about the time I had my miscarriage this summer. She is great and really “gets it”. She was so supportive and offered her assistance if I needed any help. It is so great to have such caring neighbors.

High: I am feeling better AND I have no commitments or responsibilities for the rest of the night so I can just go lay on the couch or in bed and veg. out.

There you have it. My day. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

1 comment:

Sasha@Pw said...

a day of highs and lows! we have at our table, a tradition where we go through our low and high of the day. it helps us focus on the small details fo the day. :)

congrats on your pregnancy...may it be a happy one!