Monday, February 14, 2005

The best of intentions of friends

A friend called the other day to see how my pregnancy was going. I hadn’t talked with her in a few weeks and I told her that I had started spotting again last week, but had an ultrasound that confirmed everything was going well. Before I could get another word in, she started giving me a lecture about how I needed to take it easier and that I should go on complete bed rest, after all, I have tried to hard to get to this point. When I got a chance, I explained that I had seen 2 doctors this week, nether of which suggested that bed rest would do any good. And, since I had tried very hard to get to this point, I would not do ANYTHING that I thought would jeopardize the pregnancy. She still started laying into me about this and was going on and on, like I was irresponsible or something. Finally, I ended up getting a little short with her. I’m still a bit irritated days later. I know that she had the best of intentions and that she was just concerned for me, but I wonder how she felt this was supportive?

No comments: