Thursday, February 24, 2005

New OB is a keeper

I have been in hermit mode the last few days. Could you tell? Nothing really going on. Just tired. The house is still an incredible mess, but I haven’t cared enough to clean it. Just working, walking the dogs, and watching t.v. or reading a book. That pretty much fills the days. I haven't really even felt like talking on the phone much.

I had an appointment with my new OB today. Her style and smaller office setting is much more to my liking. I didn’t even have to beg for an u/s. I think it may be standard practice. I hope I get one every visit. The nurse is going to call me in a day or two about my referral to the Perinatologist and I will ask her if that was just for the first visit. I did get a bit worried because it was my first abdominal u/s and it looks a lot different from a vaginal one. She was looking and searching for quite a long time. Finally, I asked her if everything was okay and was she having trouble finding the baby. She gave me a smile and said that everything was fine and the baby looked great. She said she was looking for something small, the bridge to the nose, because we had talked a lot about genetic testing and amnio before the u/s. She measured the “head to rump” and said it was too big to do the nuchal translucency screening test. I think I was measuring 14w4d and you need to be under 13w6d. So, I will do triple screen test in 2 weeks and then decide on amnio.

One of the things I like best about Dr. P was her sense of humor. One of the first things she said to me with a big smile on her face was “So, my husband got you pregnant, huh?” I knew right then that this would work out. She asked if I would need a c-section because of the fibroid surgery as she glanced through my surgery report and then commented, “how nice that he hand wrote in, just for me, that the cavity wasn’t entered” so I didn’t have to read too hard. When I told her that I got pregnant on an IVF cycle that got cancelled and converted to IUI, she said, I think I remember that because it doesn’t happen too often.

All in all, it was a good visit. I am happy with the choice and plan to keep my next appointment with her. I must remember to cancel my one with Dr. G.

On the job front, I was up on the middle of the night worrying about work. I don’t do that very often, but we are getting ready for an organizational change. My boss is going to play a dual role in the new structure. It gets somewhat complicated, but the role that I think they had in mind for me, I told my boss straight out that I didn’t want as it stands. In my opinion, it is a 2 – 3 person job and would have anywhere from 70 – 150 direct reports with direct day to day delivery responsibility for a lot of projects. I gave a few different scenarios (maybe 5) for how I thought it could work out better. I didn’t want the whole pie, but I do want a slice and not a small slice either. I was up worrying about that and pondering if I wasn’t pregnant, would I feel differently. I came to the conclusion that pregnant or not, I would not be happy in the that position as it stood. I was still really worried that I might have shot myself in the foot and maybe I should have just taken it. It would be a lot of work and even more stress. However, this post was interrupted by a call from one of the leaders making the decision and it looks like they are going with my second favorite approach which is splitting the job in two where I would co-lead with another person. My favorite approach was to split the role in two with one person having the people care responsibility and me having the delivery responsibility. I can live happily with the second approach.

All is well here. Off to enjoy the clear skies and walk the dogs and then to be a couch potato.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I knew you'd like her...
-m