Thursday, February 03, 2005

Fetal Heart Monitor Update

I read the instruction manual and listened to the CD which gave examples of heartbeat sounds at various stages of pregnancy starting from 10w and maternal sounds to help distinguish the difference. Feeling more prepared, I gave the fetal heart monitor a try. I never detected the heartbeat. I gave up after about 5 – 10 min. Afterwards, I stared having some pretty intense cramping in the area I had scanned with the monitor. My fibroid scar is also a bit itchy now. While it is supposed to be 100% safe and “just like the machines your doctors use”, I am rethinking this whole idea and strongly thinking about sending it back. Some of the fine print instructions (which were not advertised on the web page) indicated that only some women can detect the heartbeat at 10w and for others it is several weeks beyond that. Those women who are very slender (NOT ME) are much more likely to be able to detect the heartbeat earlier. Those who are heavier and have lots of padding (ME) are less likely to be able to detect the heartbeat for several more weeks. My current line of thought is that I will likely be able to hear the heartbeat about the same time I can feel the baby move. It isn’t going to be worth the extra worry. I guess Dr. N is probably right that it would just be a waste of money. Maybe I will give it one more try in a few days. More than likely, it will be going back well before the 14 day trial period is over. Like many things in life, you live and you learn.

No comments: