Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The hardest part

The hardest part of going back to work has been missing Shadow and having a dog at my feet for company. I miss her. Max misses her as well and often asks me to "go get her and bring her home". He asked for a new dog the other day and I told him when the time was right for our family, the right dog will find us. Tonight he wanted to read I will always love you by Hans Wilhelm. Three times. It was all I could do to not start bawling. Max must have gotten what he needed although he still doesn't understand "death" because halfway through the third read I got "Momma, I need to talk to you. Stop reading. I need to talk to you." When I stopped, "Why do I have sharp teeth?"

1 comment:

Miss X said...

My parents got a dog when I was a baby. He was the perfect dog - gentle with us kids but would have killed someone who tried to hurt us. He was sweet, loving and protective. Everything you want a dog.

The worst thing he ever did? Get on the furniture when we weren't home!

I remember when he started going downhill - clearly having trouble walking, his sight started going and towards the end he had a few seizures. I selfishly prayed he would stick around until I left home. I never told my parents about this prayer, but they had him put to sleep the day I left for college.

Hope you don't mind me reminiscing on your blog. I just wanted to let you know, I know how hard it is to lose a beloved pet.

Thanks for continuing to write, even though your life is crazy. I really enjoy the Max stories and pics of your precious babies!