Sunday, March 23, 2008

Adrenalin Rush

OMG, my son, my son....what am I going to do with him? I was in a dead sleep and wake up to my bedroom door opening (normally when it is just he and I, I sleep with it open, but Nanna stayed over last night), the cat meowing (as he climbed up the stool and onto the my bed via the cat bed), and crawled over to cuddle. The time on the clock? In the vicinity of 3:40 am. I cuddled with him a minute to calm my adrenalin rush. Then, told him it was still the middle of the night, night night time and he was going to have to go back to the crib. To which, he scampered off my bed, told me to "stay there, stay right there", and went to play with his trains. I got him some milk, a fresh diaper and a fresh shirt (since the one he was wearing was wet), cuddled with him a few minutes, put him back to the crib, waited in his room a few minutes for him to settle, told him in a stern voice he was not to climb out of the crib again and if he needed anything to let me know. It's been about 10 minutes so maybe all that work. Nap times have been non-existent since I just can't keep in the crib then. Bedtimes haven't been too bad because he's completely exhausted. I'm not quite sure how to handle this. I really wanted him to stay in the crib until at least 3.5, almost another full year, but don't think I'm going to make it. Maybe I try to convert to toddler bed and just train him in that now, then I have one less crib I need to acquire. It would be easier to ponder this if I were not exhausted and Max and I were getting enough sleep.

The thing is, Max is smart enough that very soon he's going to realize that he doesn't have to come directly to me and will just start playing or doing what he wants when he wakes up. I guess I will try to repair that whole in the crib tent and see what happens.

Thank goodness I had put the easter baskets on the kitchen table this year (because the coffee table was filled with toys and junk and I was too tired to clear it) and Max didn't see them or I'm sure there would be no more sleep to be had today.

Well, he hasn't reappeared yet, but he just started singing. Sigh. I think it is going to be a long, long day.

Oh, btw, Happy Easter!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Once my toddler started getting out of his crib and then his bed constantly, I put a baby safety thing on his doorknob. I had a monitor and I could also hear him through my open door and my room was right next to his, but once he realized he could not get out of his room, he settled down and would sleep through the night. I was worried about him wandering around the house at night. I also noticed that as soon as he transitioned to a big boy bed, the naps were essentially over - at 2 1/2 years old. That was such a hard time. I would insist he have at least a 45 minute "rest time" and put on a CD of quiet lullabies and told him he had to "rest" until the CD was over. I don't envy you - the transition to a big bed and the transition to no naps is so difficult!