Thursday, July 26, 2007

Magic and Fantasy

*** Note: no spoilers here, safe to read if you haven't yet picked up or finished the new Harry Potter book***

I've always liked the idea of magic. Even as a child, I was never a big TV watcher, but Bewitched was my favorite TV show then. Did you know they are doing reruns of it, The Partridge Family, I Dream of Genie, and I think one more of the oldies? I don't remember the station/channel, but I have caught it a few times.

I always wanted to have magical powers. I dreamed of being a witch. I would have loved that.

I read The Hobbit series young and have the box set paper back collection. I have re-read it several times in my life. I was thrilled when they brought it to the big screen. I own all three DVD's and they have been watched a few times each.

I liked Star Wars and have the old videos of them that get re-watched every few years. Although, I don't have the newest one and don't think I have seen it. And, when did that come out? Years ago?

I never did get into Star Trek much. Never was a Trekkie. Don't know why. Just didn't. I guess I'm not much one for obsessions and such.

I have really enjoyed the Harry Potter series. I actually don't own any of the books, but do own all of the DVDs out thus far. Yet, I know that I actually will buy the set at some point in the future and re-read them all. I actually tried to do that before looking to see if the recent book was available from the library, but they are not yet available as a set yet.

Anyway, I finished the book yesterday. There's one part at the end that I have a question about, but it is really a minor detail. The author is a really great story teller with a wonderful imagination. In a way, I'm envious. I would love to have such a mind, a talent if you will, to think up stories like Harry Potter, Bewitched, The Hobbit, Star Wars almost as much as I would love, still today...maybe even more today...to have magical powers.

And, if I did have such powers, the first thing I would is fix the leak in my kitchen sink. Sigh. I just don't want to have to deal with it any other way.

I think one of the reasons I like books in general is because they take you away from reality for a bit into another world. My favorite class in college was this popular fiction class where we had to read something like 10 - 13 books that semester in every genre. It was great. I "had" to read the books...for class...at a time when reading for fiction and pleasure wasn't the norm as I was carrying a full school load and working anywhere from 1 - 3 jobs.

I just love, love, love a good story. A well written and well told story just can't be beat. I think that is why I get so bothered sometimes when Max doesn't seem to be the "reader" or have the interest in books that others do. Yet, I remind myself that he is still so young. There is still time as he gets older. And, by reading myself, for pleasure, I set the best example of all.

I'll make sure the library gets the Harry Potter book back today even though I can have it until Monday so someone else can get the pleasure of reading it.

I know some are really sad that the series is over. I'm not. It is a good story that will always be there to be re-read and re-enjoyed in the future. I hope that is a story that Max and I can enjoy it along with many others when he gets older. I'd love to read it to him one day and have him enjoy it as much as I have. Then, to read it himself at some point just for the pure pleasure of a good, well written and well told story.

I'll dream of magical powers for awhile and wish that I had them. All part of the magic.

1 comment:

Care said...

I have always been fascinated by magic too. I remember as a child closing my eyes and trying to will things to happen. I wanted it to work so badly! I love the HP series, just as I love Chronicles of Narnia, the Chrestomanci books, and many others. I love to escape into books - it is like having a whole new world to explore.

Max may grow up to be a reader - you never know. I wondered if Ethan would ever learn to really love books and reading - because when he was little he had no interest at all in them. Now he is hooked on Magic Tree House books - and I love it.