Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Weekend Transitions

I know I have said it before, but here it goes again. Given the choice, if it was an option, which it is not, I could totally be a stay at home mom. Before Max, I never expected to feel that way. I couldn’t imagine not working. Now, my job is my job and I feel like I live to spend time away from work with my son.

This last weekend was great. We had three whole days together. We had such a good time. On Saturday, we went to a park by the beach with my friend and her kids. On Sunday, we just hung out together all day. On Monday, we went to the Aquarium with a friend and her daughter.

Max was on a terrific sleep and nap schedule all weekend. That went by the way side yesterday with only a 30 min. nap in the morning compared to 2 – 3 hour nap over the weekend and a 5 min. nap in the afternoon. And, for the first time in a long time he was up in the night and fussy for awhile probably because he was over tired. Or, it could have been a combination of that and hungry from a growth spurt, teething, and tummy troubles since he didn’t have a BM yesterday for the first time in quite a while.

Yes, I have found that I need to plan activities, especially in the afternoon, to keep him from getting bored and into trouble. He just loves to spend time with other kids and “go”. It doesn’t really matter where we are going a trip to the store is just as good as a walk with the dog or an outing with friends.

In some ways, I find that the stage Max is in right now is a bit more boring or mind numbing for me then when he was a baby because he is quite independent and some of the things that engage him are repetition. For example, as he plays with the door and open/closes it I label what he is doing “open, closed, open, closed, open, open, open, closed”. When we read books, often, he wants to turn the pages and read it himself as I stare off into space. When I get really bored, I pick up another book and read it until he decides he now wants to “read” that one. (smile) I have two sets of alphabet letters for the tub so “I” can spell words while Max bathes that he gladly swats off giving me another opportunity to spell more words like his name. I need to be there to help him when the push toy gets stuck and he gets frustrated, otherwise, just let him play and explore and learn. I try not to stifle him, but be there for him when he wants me to be.

Sometimes, he will just waddle over for a quick hug. Sometimes, when reading, he will climb into my lap. Last night, we just both laid on the floor watching a DVD before he went to bed. When I laid down, he scotched over and put his head right next to mine using my neck as his pillow. When he isn’t so tired, we are both quite fond of mommy jungle gym where we roll around on the floor and cuddle/wrestle. I just so love those moments.

I never expected to want to spend so much time with him. It is addictive. I think for both of us.

Yesterday, it was hard to transition back to work for me and back to spending his days with Niomi. When I told him I was going to take a shower and then go to work, he started crying and reached for me for a hug. Actually, he did that several times during the day when I would go out for lunch, the bathroom, etc. He even made it into my office once or twice looking for me. In some ways, I was glad that he wanted to spend time with me as much as I did with him. And, sad, that we just can’t spend all day every day together. I have found Monday’s a bit harder of a transition in general, but it was really hard after three whole days together. It isn’t as if he isn’t glad to see Niomi and I am not happy with her overall. He is and I am. It just isn’t the same as being able to hang out together. We just have a different routine and a different rhythm on our days together. One, apparently, we both like a little better.

Gosh, my son is just such a great kid. I am constantly amazed by that fact.

Quick Cycle Update: The hardest part of this cycle is remembering that I am cycling and that I need to take my stims. I took the last of the Fermara/Letrozol this morning. I’ve been doing the shots in the evening. Appointment on Friday late afternoon for a follicle check. Not expecting great numbers, but at least TWO follicles in range would be nice.

CT Scan Results: Finally got the results of my CT Scan last night. Got a call from the Dr. himself. That is probably why it took so long. And, the verdict is….1) Gallstones 2) High Cholesterol.

No comments: