Friday, September 08, 2006

Helpful or Not Helpful?

You be the judge seeing as I am feeling a bit (okay A LOT) tired today and a tad grumpy. Had FAB night out with the girls last night while my sister stayed with Max. Anyway, I digress.

Max has been on the best nap schedule lately that I ever remember in his life. Down at 10 am ish and sleeping 2 – 3 hours for a nap. Then, sleeping from 7 pm – 6 am at night. No fuss, no crying.

I have had to be very specific with Niomi* with having Max back at home by at least 9:45 am so he can unwind, read books, and settle a bit so he is ready for crib and sleep at 10 am after Tuesday where the window of opportunity was missed with him being put down late resulting in crying, only a 30 min. nap, and up for several hours at night. Since then, she has been very good about having him back and settled and in crib by 10 am. This morning included.

HOWEVER

This morning, after Max had been in the crib for about 5 min. and before he was actually asleep she went in and started vacuuming his room. Anyone besides me see that this is not actually conducive to him actually falling asleep? Anyone else thing this is not really helpful in calming a kid who is trying to fall asleep? I have told her before to just not vacuum his room if he is asleep. I think she could tell I was a little miffed when I told her once again (in a tone that was a bit sharper than I like to use) to not vacuum Max’s room when he was asleep. She told me he wasn’t asleep yet and was standing up in his crib. I just took a deep breadth while thinking sure he was with all that activity and thinking he might get saved from a nap and explained that she should not vacuum his room anytime he was in his crib asleep or not and she could either vacuum his room before or after his nap or not at all. Of course, Max was screaming by now and would not be easily soothed, but finally did get him down for a nap. To me, this just seems like common sense, but I now realize I just needed to be clearer/more explicit in my instructions. Sigh.

In other news, it was great to get out last night, but got home a bit late and then had trouble falling asleep. My sister confirmed that Max is going through a Mommy phase all of a sudden. She said that right after I left last night, Max looked around and realized I wasn’t there and got panicked and did his little breath holding spell for her. She freaked out a bit and said he wasn’t breathing for about a minute, but then started breathing again and that she was never so happy to hear a kid scream. She said after raising two kids and being around so many more she hasn’t seen anything like it. Yeah, I know. Truly, I know. I told her what the ER doctor told me, that it only FELT like a minute but since he didn’t turn blue or pass out, likely it wasn’t THAT long. But, it really is quite freaky when it happens. I think you have to experience it to truly get how awful it is. Sadly, it does happen a few times a week so I am not personally as worried about it anymore. I usually just blow in his face and calmly instruct him to breath and this does the trick. He hasn’t gone limp and I haven’t had to do mouth to mouth after that first time. Still, scary stuff. After that, she said he was fine until bedtime where she could tell that he really missed me, but he did go down after about 5 – 10 minutes of fussing. When I went in to check on him when I got home, he woke right up when I walked in the room, stood up in his crib, and clung to me. I cuddled with him and did the night time rock and song I normally do for him and he fell happily back to sleep. Ah, if I had done the same.

Off to see RE in a bit to see if I have any follicles growing. I’m not expecting a stellar response. I have been totally having hot flashes the last few days so my latest worry is that I am now in menopause and my ovaries have just decided to shut down and not play the game anymore. I hope I am pleasantly surprised this afternoon.

I had an awful dream the other day that when I went in to today’s appointment my RE told me he didn’t want to be my RE anymore and I would start seeing the new RE at our clinic. After psychoanalyzing it, I realized that I have been secretly worried that my IUI will be on Monday when my RE is teaching 2 hours away and that the new RE would have to do my IUI. Not thrilled with that prospect, but have had time to get used to it should that be the case and realize at least that means I had some kind of a response. Would prefer to have an u/s or two with the guy first, not that an IUI is that hard of a procedure. Have not yet told/emailed my RE to tell him I changed my protocol and used expired meds and have gall stones. Sigh. Running out of time on that.

Have I mentioned how tired I am? How I can’t focus? How much I want to sleep? I can’t even look forward to a nice nap this weekend because have too much going on both days. I guess I will just have to go to sleep a decent time tonight and hope that Max’s good sleep trend continues at least until tomorrow where I will royally screw up his schedule to drop my mom off at the airport and attend a local SMC get together right during his prime nap time. Should bode well - ha ha – NOT. Just hope he can handle the party with no or little nap and I don’t pay too much tomorrow night.


* Niomi got a return to school/work note from the dr.’s office last week when she called in sick (so very cute) that confirmed her name really is spelt Niomi not Naomi like I really thought.

No comments: