Friday, September 15, 2006

Inconsolable

Poor little guy! Max woke up a bit ago completely inconsolable. At first, I thought it was just his being overtired since he didn’t nap well today, but quickly realized that something more was wrong. He just cried and cried and cried. His face and eyes got all red and splotchy just like mine do after a big upset. Usually, momma cuddles are enough, but not so tonight. In addition to momma cuddles, I tried a bottle (that I am supposed to be weaning him from), a visit to momma’s bed (which usually brings a laugh or two of joy, but no sleeping), some pacing, and finally Baby Mozart which he watched cuddled in my arms with his blankie and his face nestled into my chest. The DVD calmed him enough to take some Tylenol. The Tylenol was in effect by the time the DVD ended and a few minutes of his normal bedtime routine did the trick and he was back him bed. I guess maybe he is getting sick? Seriously, I think only one other time did he get that worked up and that was after his 6 month shots. We will see what the rest of the night brings.

I had gone to bed a bit early because I was tired and it has been a long, busy week at work, but was not yet asleep (when Max awoke) because my neighbor’s dog barking, and barking, and barking. I really feel sorry for that dog. He is just a puppy and gets left alone outside a lot. Unfortunately, the whole neighborhood is affected. Good thing I like those neighbors.

Not much going on this week other than life.

Work has been busy. Max took a fall and was bleeding from his mouth earlier in the week which had me a bit rattled. That is the first time he “bled”. While I’m not fond of vomit (although Max hasn’t really done that yet either), diarrhea, poop, pee, and such, I typically deal well with it. But, blood, I’m not a big fan of, especially when it is coming out of his mouth when he is doing that whole not breathing, breath holding spell thing. A few friends calmed my fears, but I did make an appointment for a pediatric dentist. Max did well except for the time when the dentist actually looked in his mouth. A minor cut behind his front tooth which is a bit loose. Glad I took him for the reassurance and to have the relationship established. I really like the dentist and her office – a lot. Between our discussion in the office and the letter and material she sent in follow up, probably because she could tell I wasn’t really committed, I am seriously thinking of weaning Max from the bottle soon. I’m just not ready for the battle and the likely impact to my sleep yet. Soon though.

Niomi’s English is getting better these days. She has started laughing at some of my stupid jokes and comments to Max lately. This evening when we were getting ready to walk Shadow and Max was so so tired. I told him I was going to give him a bottle of water (instead of the cups I have been), but the dentist told me “no bottle” so he better not tell her the next time we went in. Of course, Max didn’t have a clue and gladly took the bottle and started sucking on it. Niomi laughed. Made me laugh and happy. I wonder if my working from home and hearing me on the phone so much is helping combined with the summer English class she and her cousin took on Saturday’s.
After Max is asleep, I have pretty much been a couch potato and watched TV, which the dog and the cat have LOVED. Mostly, I am not a big TV watcher and can go weeks and months without ever turning it on. I’ve made up for it lately watching several hours each night. I’ve been kind of in hermit/”cave in” mode and haven’t really even talked on the phone like I normally would. Just haven’t felt like it. It was actually a nice to be so quiet in the evenings after such a busy work week.

So, like I said, not much going on except normal life stuff. Being benched is very boring, but probably a good thing not only physically but because my work schedule is really going to be quite crazy probably from now to the end of the year. Somehow, I will make time for the surgery and the cycling when given the go ahead. I don’t meet with the surgeon until the end of the month. I called 3 and set up 2 consults, but cancelled one of them because I don’t really like the hospital he does surgery out of.

I was tired before and am even more tired now several hours later so I think I will give my second go round of sleep another shot. Max is peacefully asleep again. My neighbors are home and their dog has stopped his doggie cries. Sweet dreams.

No comments: