Sunday, July 31, 2005

Shower went well

I had the shower yesterday and it went well. Better than I thought actually. I still stand by the fact that I could have lived with out one. It just seems so mercenary. Not that I didn’t LOVE every gift I received. It was fun. Better than any birthday party that I ever had, that’s for sure. I have such wonderful friends and my family wasn’t half bad yesterday either. LOL. I’m really glad that I invited folks over to swim and hang out after the official shower. It gave me a chance to spend more time and actually talk to people on a one on one basis. I think that is what appeals to me least is that when you have a get together like that. YOU know everyone, but they may not know anyone else there or only a few people. I feel an obligation to make sure that no one is left feeling uncomfortable or “alone”, but it is hard when there are so many people.

I’ve always said that if I ever found someone I loved and trusted enough to marry I would want to elope. Having a formal wedding is not something I ever dreamed about. I would rather the expense and planning be put to better use. I realized that part of my apathy towards a baby shower wasn’t all just fear of jinxing a good thing or paranoia. If I were getting married, I don’t think I would have wanted a bridal shower either. Just me.

Anyway, like I said, I did have it. It went well. I can now cross it off the list. I had a wonderful time and think that most everyone that came had a great time. Tracy, Heather, and my sisters did a great job in pulling it all together so that people felt comfortable. As much as I complained about Julie, she really did work hard during the shower itself and both she and Heather made a fantastic variety of food.

I think my funniest memory of the day will always be around the party favors. My sister Cindy got baby bottles and filled them with Hershey kisses and decorated them with blue ribbon and the words baby kisses in blue pen. The kids took out the chocolate and have been using them to drink out of, including the 15 year old second cousin and 20 year old niece. Truly funny!

For the first time in my pregnancy, my ankles really swelled up yesterday. I think it was the combination of standing around more and then being out in the heat all afternoon. I was making sure that I was staying hydrated, but when I looked down at one point in the afternoon and saw how swollen they were I increased intake even more and made sure I wasn’t eating anything salty to help contribute. They were back to almost normal size this morning. In my late night reading on the subject of swollen ankles, feet, and hands I was reassured that I was not likely developing pre-eclempsia (LOL) and that I should consider myself blessed that it hasn’t happened much more often since it seems very common especially during the heat of the summer.

My cousin, her husband, and their youngest daughter joined me on a nice nature walk this morning. We went out a bit further than I normally would since it was Sunday and I have absolutely no commitments today. Hip Hip Horray! When we got back, they went to church and I was a slug and just laid around doing nothing all morning. I think I may have even dozed off a bit. It was some really nice alone time that has been scarce lately. I really needed it.

Things are still going well. The baby seemed like he was much more active yesterday than I have felt in awhile. Maybe he is going to be a social butterfly and an avid party go-er when he grows up. I have more pressure in my pelvis and hips today than I have had before, but no contractions or anything else indicating my time may be coming sooner rather than later. I think I am just feeling normal changes in the final weeks before the big event.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

I am glad to hear that enjoyed the baby shower. :) I can't believe how close it is to D-day! LOL. :) Can't wait to hear all about your meeting with the little guy, and hopefully see a picture or two!:)

BTW- did you receive my gifts? They should have arrived last week sometime..