Monday, July 11, 2005

Monday’s Musings

In case I haven’t ever mentioned it, I work in corporate America for a fairly large size company. I was talking to a colleague today about how I was feeling, the whole girl/boy switch, etc. Hey, she asked! I don’t typically bring it up unless asked a direct question. Anyway, at one point, she said something like how did your husband react or take the news. I said, Oh, I’m not married, but the pregnancy was very planned and I’m thrilled. She got so embarrassed and apologized for making that assumption. I told her not to worry it was a natural assumption as I was laughing. She was truly mortified and upset. One of the benefits of working in such a corporate environment is that I very rarely get asked questions or details that I have heard that other Single Mom’s by Choice get about whose the daddy, etc. and so forth. Actually, it is very rare that anyone does even mention a husband. Most of the time, I will correct the assumption. Sometimes I don’t. Anyway, it just struck me as really funny.

Mr. UPS brought my first baby presents today. Several ladies that I work with ordered a waterproof mattress pad and baby sheets from my registry. They bought it before they knew about the girl/boy thing and were glad that I mostly registered for more gender neutral type colors. It is a yellow called "butter" it think. It was so nice and thoughtful. I may have hated doing the registering, but found I really like getting the gifts. I guess I had better get out there soon to make sure I don’t have too many girly type things out there on the registry since I can't actually remember what I put on the registry.

Boy Names….Have I mentioned the ones I am thinking about? Jacob (Jake), Max, and Zachary (Zach). The one I am most drawn to is Zach, but still looking through the books to see if anything else strikes me as better. A woman at the SMC meeting on Saturday suggested I go to the park and scream out the name a few times to see which one I liked best. LOL. It made me realize that they are all one consonance (? Is that the right word, to lazy to go look it up? or is it syllable) and sound very similar.

Jacob Allen Z = JAZ
Jacob Andrew Z = JAZ
Max Z = MZ (If I use Max I may go without a middle name because I can’t fine one I like that goes)
Zachary Edward Z – ZEZ
Zachary Z – ZZ (no middle name)
Zachary Anthony Z – ZAZ

*where Z is a one syllable last name

What do you think? Any other names or combinations you want to throw out for consideration?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My friend just had a Zachary Alexander. I like Zachary, but it is popular. what about a name like Zane? Or Alexander but call him Zander/Xander. Jacob is also very very popular. It is the number one name in America. I like very old fashioned traditional names like John. What about Mathias or Elias??

Deb2You2 said...

Thanks for the suggestions! Yeah, that's the problem with the names I most like...they are so popular right now. Jake was number one last year and Zach was something like 23. (frown) I had a long discussion with a friend about that who said popularity be damned. If I like a name I should use it. I don't know. I have realized that one of the things that has drawn me to all three of them (Jake, Max, Zach) is that the are short, one sylable names with an "AH" sound instead af an "ay" like (Jacob, Zane, etc.) sound. Sisters ex-husband was an @ss named John. For some reason, Audtrey didn't seem long, but Mathias and Elias do. Isn't that funny? I just can't see me yelling them out in a park (LOL) as a fellow SMC suggested. HMMM. Why is this so hard? Can you think of any other either names or nick names that are short with a "ah" sound that AREN'T so popular? LOL.

carrie said...

Hey! It's nice to know I'm not the only one with the girl/boy switch. My first child we thought was a girl until 3 weeks before I delivered. I found out AFTER all the showers and gifts were received. This time around, we haven't been able to find out. At the last ultrasound, the doc said it was either a boy or a girl (and what he was seeing was the umbilical cord). We'll find out in September. I think it's almost better to be in suspense than to think it's the other gender. Like you, we weren't disappointed that it was a boy, it was just a little...well, blah after all those months of thinking it was a girl and even talking to "her" in my tummy.

On names...I don't know what to tell you. My husband is of Spanish and Italian descent, so we're picking names from those ethnic groups. Living in the US, that kind of predisposes us to picking names that aren't at the top of any popularity charts. Boy #1 is Enzo. #2...well, we're still deciding.

Good luck with everything! I know bed rest sucks, but it's only for a couple of weeks. It could be worse.