Thursday, July 14, 2005

Bed Rest

Today is the day that I was put on bed rest. Yep, the OB appointment was going well until she checked my cervix. I think she only did it because 2 other women who were about as far along as I am came in dilated today and I was already undressed for the Step B culture (or whatever it is called) that they do around this time. I was SHOCKED when she said I was 2 cm and she was putting me on bed rest. I thought she was joking at first because I haven’t had any cramping or anything. She said, no, the baby’s head is down. I can feel it and the sack. I’m not joking. While I was surprised to be dilated, I wasn’t really surprised to know that the baby had dropped because I was having more pressure and pelvis aches. Not bad, but enough for me to wonder. Bed rest it is. I was feeling very crampy and worried after the exam. I called the on-call dr. and he asked if she had prescribed anything to calm the uterus. I said no because I wasn’t having any cramping before just after. I told him I did have some Terbutaline from trying to get pregnant. He said, “trying to get pregnant” in disbelief. I said it is a long story. He let it go, but when I read the dosage he said take ½ a pill now and if still crampy take another ½ pill in an hour. If still crampy and/or it is getting worse to call back. The one dose of Terbutaline did the trick. I have been good and just lying around since. A friend and I were supposed to go to dinner tonight, but she brought dinner instead. I probably won’t be around much since my home computer is a desktop and not in a place where I can lay down and access it. I am going to try to work with my laptop (which is wireless). We will see. Dr. P said she wants me to try to get to at least 36 weeks. This means likely that I will be on bed rest for the next two weeks unless things go south between now and then. I go back next Thursday (1 week) for a check. I called the Doula to give her an update. She said, well, at least we now know that you can dilate without intense pain. When I told her about the bed rest she asked so is that what you are going to do? I’m not sure what she meant, but…yeah…the difference between 6 weeks pre-term and 4 weeks pre-term is that your baby goes into the NICU for at least a week at 6 weeks and likely you can bring him home at 4 weeks. Bed rest it is. Shadow, Lucky and I are a motley crew. Shadow has a big hot spot on her rear, Lucky vomited again today, and I am down for the count. Needless to say, they didn’t get walked tonight and are handling it well. I have a call into the dog walker for help starting tomorrow. Over and out for now.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

I was so busy finishing up my project for my class, I missed this post!
I am sorry to hear you are on bedrest. I hope that things are OK and that you can hold onto that baby a little longer to avoid the NICU! Praying for you and the little one! (I am confused as to his/her name now LOL)