Sunday, June 26, 2005

Where did the weekend go?

The short version:

Washing clothes, spending money, returning and buying new maternity clothes, and starting a registry.

The longer version:

Saturday, I saw my acupuncturist. I just love her. Then, I returned some maternity clothes that I ordered on-line that didn't fit. It's a long story, but let's just say that JC Penny's customer service is appalling and they have lost my business forever. If I had the energy, I'd tell you the details and call/write them to complain. After that ordeal, I stopped in Motherhood Maternity and actually found 2 dresses, 2 shorts, 1 top, and some walking shorts all for about $100. Everything was on sale except a pair of jeans shorts. I think I am now set on maternity wear. I treated myself to a late lunch/early dinner; came home and took a nap; and then washed baby clothes. I have so many baby clothes it is quite frightening. It will be even more frightening if I don't have enough because I have piles and piles. I think it is at least 6 loads, although the last few weren't quite full, but separated due to color issues. It is all so cute and adorable. I can hardly stand it. If I didn't need the extra time, I'd almost wish that the baby was already here so I could start seeing her in some of it.

On Sunday, I did a few more loads and have the last of the baby clothes washed. Yeah! Now I just need a place to put them other than on every available surface of the baby's room. That should be arriving in about 2 weeks. Yes, I actually purchased some furniture today. No, I don’t have a crib yet, but I do have a long, eight drawer dresser; a tall 6 drawer dresser, and an end table purchased. All three pieces were less than $8oo with free delivery. Now, I just need the crib and a chair, but I know where I am going to get them. The store was just closed by the time I made all the other decisions.

I decided a few things. The 3 or 4 in one cribs are great ideas, but just don’t expect to get extra furniture like a desk or an end table to grow with the bed…unless you want to go really high quality and spend 3 – 4K. I decided to change my approach and picked out everything, but the crib and then find a crib to match. It’s amazing how much cheap, junky furniture there is out there. Heaven forbid you get decent wood furniture for a child. One sales guy said that people just don’t want to invest much money in children’s stuff. But, all of it (fake wood and shoddy manufacturing) costs a pretty penny as well, but won’t last. Anyway, out of desperation, I went to Michael’s Furniture Warehouse on Woodman in Van Nuys. I have bought a few pieces for both my mom’s and my own house there before and have been happy with it. My new approach was to buy some simple “adult” pieces without the bed. And, that’s what I did. I got pine with maple stain (I had 8 choices of stain), but think I will call back tomorrow and change it to natural finish. I thought one of the cribs I like was pine with maple, but it was pine with oak. I think I will have an easier time matching the natural finish after looking through my brochures from earlier visits. It is a bit lighter than what I would have liked, but it will be fine.

Since the Baby’s R Us Mega store is a mile away from Michael’s, I stopped in to buy some hangers so I could do something with at least a few of the baby clothes that are now washed and just in piles ...as I mentioned...on almost every surface of the baby’s room. It really is quite scary. Good thing my Doula recommended using different color hangers for the various sizes because they didn’t have any with the sizes marked on them as my sister had indicated and I don’t think I would have come up with the idea on my own. While at Baby’s R Us, I started my registry. It was very tiring and some what painful. I couldn’t find a few things, changed my mind on a few things, and needed to research a few things out before I could decide what I wanted. So, I should have at least one registry done about mid-week by the time they get it posted to the internet and I make my changes.

Tomorrow, I just need to go back to Baby Town and buy the crib (I think they had one I liked in pine that I can get in a natural finish for a reasonable price) and, this really, really comfortable swivel, rocker chair with an ottoman. I think I will be close to my original budget of $2K for the entire room. I was starting to think there was no way I could do it and get something decent that I liked. It took some time and a lot of research/work, but I think I may have done it.

The clock is now ticking. I have 2 weeks and counting to go through and clear out all of the junk and find a new place to store, give away, or throw out everything currently in that room. I started a little bit tonight but decided I was too tired and overwhelmed.

Aren’t you proud of all of the progress I am making? Whew, I am almost ready to cross a few more things off my list and they are a few biggies. Hallelujah!!

Off to satisfy a recent addiction/craving of mine…chocolate ice cream with a few M&M’s mixed in. Then, bed! Boy am I really tired, but progress is being made.

2 comments:

Katrina said...

Wow! Sounds like you had a very full weekend! Congratulations on getting started with furnishing the nursery! You must post some pictures once you have everything in place!:)

Sasha@Pw said...

6 loads of baby clothes?!!? Wow! So glad you had so many shopping successes!