Tuesday, June 21, 2005

On baby clothes

I finally decided that I should actually look at what people have given me so far so that when I am forced into the baby store to buy furniture in a few days I may be able to start registering for my shower that I have become resigned to, but could live without. At this point, it is not the event itself. I am past the paranoia stage, mostly, by now. It is what must be done to prepare. I was told I would have to do nothing. HAHAHAHAHA. I need to register. Before I can register, I must identify what I need/want. Which means going through what I have been given. Then, I must supply names. And, not just names, but addresses as well. I need to decide on the cloth vs. desposible issue. And, if cloth, diaper service or buying diapers. Which is best, most economical, how many will I need? These are just a few of the things that must be decided upon before registering can occur. This is work. This is several things added to “the list”.

I am a type A personality (in case you haven’t been able to figure that out by now). Long list = Bad. Short list = Good. It is very stressful for me to have a long list. I must get things done so I can cross them off. It pains me every time I think of something else that must go on the list. I really hope the kid (oh yeah, I was going to start trying to call her Audrey) doesn’t get here before the list is complete. Yeah, not only because it is healthier and I don’t want her at risk or to have to be in the NICU, but also…because you know…”The list”. It has become a necessary evil. I hate the list. I love crossing things off the list.

Maybe I should point out that I am feeling a bit tired and cranky right now. Probably, I should not post and just go lie down for a bit. But, what the heck…just know that I have a bit of a ‘tude today.

The irony of this whole shower thing is when I was talking to my older sister, Julie, the other day, she said she may have to “pass off” helping with the shower to my other sister or just let my friend do it all and give her money since she doesn’t have time now. This is the same sister that swore she would do it all, I would have to do nothing, and insisted I have the shower in the first place. Whatever, I have known her all my life. It is not as if I expected her to keep her word.

Anyway, back to the original topic. Baby clothes. I have such great friends and have received so many wonderful baby things. I started going through the baby clothes Sunday night. Hey, after two mini naps and laying in bed all day, I felt somewhat up to the task. I currently have 3 full washing machine loads of baby clothes and this is with the extra capacity washer that I just bought. They have all been washed and sorted into relative size, but I may need another pass at that because I think some of the clothes may have ended up in the wrong pile. Plus, I need to separate out onesies (How is that spelt? I can never remember) vs. sleep clothes vs. outfits. This has been my “project” the last few days when not working.

I think I don’t need to buy any clothes at all for the entire first year. The only age I may be a bit short on is the 6 – 9 months because 1) my friend Heather’s daughter was born in January and was 6 – 9 months during the summer and Audrey will be 6 – 9 months in winter/spring. There are some really cute summer outfits though so it will be a shame that she can’t wear them. But, I know another SMC mom who is pregnant with a girl who is 10 weeks behind me so maybe she can use/will want them. I am going to wait before giving them up though to make sure that she won’t fit them, just in case because they are so cute. 2) My friend Rosa had a son (they didn’t know the gender until he was born) so she only had gender neutral clothes for the first 0 – 6 months.

My sister Kris is just back from visiting my sister Cindy and took an extra bag empty so that Cindy could send back baby clothes/bedding. I am told that it is quite another haul. My mom is supposed to bring it with her tomorrow.

Cindy is too funny. She has instructed me to make sure that I buy the baby hangers that have the age/size on them and to have them prior to when she comes out for the shower so that she can sort through them/organize them all for me. This is a MUST!! She also told me that while it will be painful for her, I don’t have to give the clothes back when done. I can pass them on to someone else. However, I do need to return the bedding. She has decided that she just can’t officially part from it. LOL. She has told me which outfit I should use to bring Audrey home for the hospital in. She made sure that each outfit was packed together with the matching socks in the sleeve so I would know what went with what. I am sure I will be quizzed when she gets here. Hey, now that I think about it. Really no point in me resorting and organizing everything now because it will just be wrong and Cindy will re-do it all anyway, you know…the “right” way. This is the same sister that when I would watch her children for her when she and her husband were away she would have an outfit laid out for each day they were gone, clearly labeled with the day of the week for each child so she was sure that her kids were decently dressed while she was gone. LOL. Oh….

I do love my family. I do.

Anyway, no way I will be prepared to register this week. But, it was kind of fun to sort through all the clothes and look at all the cute outfits. I just hope she gets to use them all. I am starting to really want her here already, but not too soon because I don’t want her to have to be in the NICU and I still have more to do to get ready.

These clothes. They are so cute. G-d, I hope I can figure out what bottoms match what tops match what socks. My poor child. LOL.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Oh Heaven forbid that your child's socks not match her outfit! ;) hehehe

I am glad you are working on a registry, you should post the link online. :)

I can't believe how quickly your pregnancy is going! At least, it is for me. LOL. :)