Friday, June 26, 2009

1 Yr Peds - 5

The twins had their one year peds appointment on Monday. I'd tell you the stats, but I can't find the piece of paper they were written on. The doc and I never got around to talking percents anyway. He has two young ones...a 35 weeker that is probably about 4 or 5 months now and maybe a 3 year old...and he had them all weekend by himself since his wife was working. He said things like super mom and how do I do it and we laughed and said how much less work it often was to actually go to work. What I remember is that N was 20 lbs. R just slightly less than that at 19 lbs 10 oz. R was slightly longer than N and his head was slightly bigger. This always surprises me since when you look at N' she looks like she is much bigger and longer. But, it just isn't so. We were going to test their iron. Well, actually, we were going to test their iron at their 9 month, but alas the doc and I were so sleep deprived that we forgot to even talk about it. Then, the twins got shots and the nurse didn't prick and it didn't happen. I remembered this days later. Called to follow up on wether I was supposed to go to a lab, but no...it is done in the office. The nurse seemed a bit stunned when I suggested we just wait then until their 15 month appointment or I'll bring them when Max has his 4 year in appointment. She studdered out "let me check on that" with the doc, who ...had no problem with this...not urgent. I'll just keep on given them iron supplements until then. Really not a big deal.

Since Monday, we've started them on whole milk which is going fine. I dropped a day or two ago my middle of the day pump and am just going morning and night for now. This is yielding enough breast milk for everything except the last bottle of the day. Have I mentioned how much I love my ped? We talked about stopping the breast milk and he said that the only real studies were for 1 year or less and then asked me what my exit strategy had been in my mind. And, I said 1 year, but that it has come and gone, but I'm not sure I'm ready to stop. He said, whether 12 days, 12 weeks, or 12 months, if it is just too much for a mom, it is just too much and he is supportive. I'll probably go through this summer at least and stop this fall...my internal adjusting for preemie status even though I've been told it isn't necesssary.

In other news, the massive sore throat and body aches that has been plequing me for almost a week are almost gone. As of Monday, my current position is officially so unvaluable as to not exist anymore, but I'll putter around at it and a few other things until my new one starts mid July.

Made milk shakes and smoothies with Max's classroom today. We had fun.

My weekend sitter cancelled for Sunday, but I'm still looking forward to the weekend.

No comments: