Friday, June 29, 2007

Schools

Man, do I know how to live large...my big vacation plans are gardening...and here I am up late on a Friday night because I am researching high schools for my not yet 2 year old. You can laugh because I am laughing at myself over here. I started the day by spending a few hours visiting a preschool that takes children at 2 and am ending the day by sending an email to the person in charge of admissions for a high school I'm thinking about for Max asking for feeder middle schools and the projected increase in tuition.

Man, I really like this high school. It is an all boys Catholic High School a reasonable distance from my house. The current tuition is just under $10k. Yikes. I can't help but compare the fact that a DE cycles is about 35 - 40K and at today's rates a high school education would cost about the same. Makes me think about what price you pay for an education or another child. Whew, I have expensive taste on big ticket items. How can I afford another child? I'm revising my ideal family size down from 3 to 2.

I like the preschool. I'm still not sure that I'm ready to put Max in a "school" just yet, especially for a full day and this school doesn't offer half days. The deadline for a September start is the end of July. I'm going to look around a bit more and will likely not be ready to make a decision by then. If I already had Max in full time daycare, I would move him to this school in a nano second. Since he is at home and I get to see him occasionally before or after nap time, I'm not sure I'm ready to change that just yet. The school was reasonably small. It seemed like it was well run with very little staff turnover and a highly trained staff. The kids appeared to have fun and were well behaved. The "academic" nature of the school sounded a bit hard core, but what I observed wasn't. I may go back to observe a class since during the summer they only "teach" on Tuesdays and Thursdays and today was the first day of "summer" and then take Max back to see how he reacts. Heck, if I put Max in this school, I'll save $900 a month that I could invest for Max's high school education.

On that note, I'm going to head to bed and worry about finances as I sleep...okay, just kidding, I hope not. A nice sexual fantasy or something would be preferred.

No comments: