Tuesday, November 07, 2006

I voted

So, I sucked it up and did some research this afternoon after being motivated by a friend. I purposely didn’t vote for the judges since there was a lot and I didn’t have time to research and accidentally forgot to research the local city issues (didn’t see them until I was actually voting), but got to everything else and feel like I made a fairly informed decision with the limited time I had to prepare.

The polls are still open for 30 more minutes, then I will go help break down and count ballots. However, I’m very tired and just wish I could head to bed.

Another good night last night with Max sleeping until 5:45. I think we are back on track sleep wise.

Max and I were playing after our evening walk and before bath and I started singing itsy bitsy spider for him. I got a standing ovation from my son. Be still my heart. My kid is a winner and I think I’ll keep him. Nothing like your son standing and clapping and smiling at your antics.

Getting back to my friend (a fellow SMC of a 1 year old who managed to find the time to do some research and was planning on voting with her daughter) motivating me, she used some of my own words to do it. I guess I have said something like we exercise in our family or we do xyz in our family. She said that it really struck her and there were things like going to church and voting that she realized that she wanted to define as doing in her family. Made me realize that just hosting the polling place wasn’t the message I wanted to send to Max and even if he is only 1, I was setting a bad trend and precedent by not making the effort. Plus, I read a few places how low the voter turn out typically is for single women and decided I really wouldn’t feel good about falling on the wrong side of that statistic. I’m even further behind at work now, but I’m glad I did it.

No comments: