Thursday, November 03, 2005

First Day Back

Last night, Max fell asleep in his crib for the first time. I was talking to a friend on the phone (got a new wireless headset on sale cheep at The Good Guys which is going out of business) and went into his room to change him and put on his sleeper. After I finished, I put him in his crib and sat in the chair talking while he looked around and coo’d for about 20 minutes and then just fell asleep. I am very happy about this and think I will try to establish this as the new routine. I did move him to my room/the co-sleeper when I went to bed because I am not ready for him to be so far away during the night yet. He has been waking up still at least once to eat. Last night, it was twice AND he was up at 5 all smiles and ready to play. I had to laugh since it was the least amount of sleep I have gotten in awhile and my first day back to work.

Back to work has gone okay. My team called a little after 9 to wish me welcome back just as Niomi brought me Max to feed. He wasn’t really hungry, but tired and was having a meltdown while I was on the phone and couldn’t go on mute. Great! I just laughed it off and said that we are still working out some of the kinks in the going back to work routine.

On the nanny front, things have seemed to go a little bit better after I had my last talk with Niomi about not having to be in Max’s face and entertaining him every second if he is content. I explained that he needed to also learn to play on his own and be independent otherwise as he grew older it would be a problem. I didn’t want her to ignore him to get cleaning done, but she didn’t have to be constantly stimulating him. I think maybe we are finally striking a balance. I guess we are all just getting more comfortable and used to each others personalities and styles.

I’m tired and counting the minutes until I am “done” working for the day so I can hold and cuddle my little guy. Not to say I haven’t seen him and held him a few times today. I fed him twice and Niomi gave him a bottle once and I watched him play while I pumped once. I’m so fortunate that I work from home and have that chance. It is worth the hassle and invasion of privacy by having someone in my home.

I need to get a better phone and headset in place to really make things ideal. Maybe by early next week I will have settled back in fully.

No comments: