Sunday, November 06, 2005

Coo’ing in Crib

Max is coo’ing in his crib at the moment. I’m trying to get him to take at least one nap in his crib during the day. He was almost asleep in my arms after “lunch” so I decided to put him down in his crib. As soon as he was put down, he was wide awake. He is talking a bit, but not crying so I am going to leave him be for awhile and see what happens.

He has basically slept through the night the last two nights. On Friday night, we both fell asleep around 8 pm (yep, pretty exciting around here!). He woke up twice to eat (after 6 hours, then 3 hours, I think, kinda foggy memory), but then fell right back to sleep. Last night, he went to bed at 8 (I managed another hour or two of uptime before crashing) and slept 8 straight hours. He woke up at 4 am ate for 20 minutes, then played around and coo’d for about 20 minutes, then fell back asleep until 7 am. Very nice schedule. Of course, it will never work during the week because I need to get out to walk the dogs much earlier so I can get back for work.

Anyway, the point is that now that he is close to sleeping through the night, I need to think about moving him from the co-sleeper to his crib. And, I want him to be comfortable doing so during the day before we make that switch.

The problem is that during the day, he has no set sleep pattern (or any other pattern for that matter). Yesterday, he fell asleep for about 40 min. in his car seat while I was running errands and then again about an hour in my arms around 4pm. That’s it. I tried to lay down with him and take a nap around 1 pm, but he was just not interested. He played and coo’d and had a jolly time, but no sleep. I gave up around 3 ish. He slept 1 hour 40 minutes all day. That is it. I have heard that babies are supposed to sleep a lot more during the day. Advice from any mommie’s out there? Is this normal?

Some day’s he will just catnap on and off all day. Other day’s he will sleep for 2 or 3 hours, although both Niomi and I start checking him and shaking our head because that is really not the normal for him.

Hmm. This baby stuff can be hard to figure out sometimes.

Just checked, not yet asleep (or really even looking close to it), but he is just laying there moving his legs up and down kicking the mattress. Looking content, so I left him and snuck back out. BTW, when he see’s me checking him, he just looks at me and doesn’t cry or anything. I think this is a good sign. Okay, he’s back to coo’ing and talking now. LOL>

In other news, Lucky got into a dog fight (literally) with my friend Heather’s dog Daphne this morning. Neither dog was hurt. I ran into her and her friend Sean, who is visiting from England, on the trail with Heather’s two dogs. As Heather said, they have been wanting to mix it up for awhile now. Lucky and Daphne have really never liked each other. They tolerated each other, but there was no love lost between them. We have had them together and ….
…post interrupted….

Max started crying. Went and picked him up. Got him calm. Dogs started going crazy. Inspector for Tuesday’s election was at the gate. Ignored him. Got Max calm. Fed him again. He started dozing off. Put him in the crib again. Success. Decided to take nice relaxing shower and wash my hair. Checked Max. Still asleep. Got dressed and blew dry half of my hair. Checked Max. Awake. Drat. I think that was 20 – 25 min.

Made progress. Got him to fall asleep and wake up in crib without crying. Now, how do I explain what I want done and how I want it done to Niomi. Well, I will save that one for tomorrow.

Things have been better with Niomi since I had that last talk. She isn’t in Max’s face ove stimulating him. He is much less fussy. I am much less on edge. Niomi is more comfortable and less on edge. We are making progress.

Okay, got to go.

No comments: