Saturday, May 21, 2005

One Hour Glucose Test and OB Apt. Update

I haven’t failed a test in a long, long time. And, I am almost positive I failed my one hour glucose test yesterday. The drink itself wasn’t bad. It tasted like orange Kool-Aid. About 50 minutes after I finished the drink, I started getting really shaky and started not feeling so great. I stopped afterward I left the lab for a sandwich and that helped a little. Then, I got really, really sleepy. I could barely stay awake. I also got a low grade headache that just got worse as the day went on. It wasn’t until much later in the evening after I took some Tylenol and had some Rubio’s tacos that I started feeling better. It is hard for me to believe this is a normal reaction. I was so hoping to avoid Gestational Diabetes and after my reaction to the one hour test, I really dread the 3 hour one.

Other than that, my OB appointment went fairly well. Blood pressure and weight were good. I was given the final okay to travel next week for work. The only disconcerting thing was finding out that I should be feeling the baby move 10 times and hour. I told my dr. that I didn’t think I was feeling the baby move enough because I wasn’t feeling her move that much some days and certainly wasn’t feeling her move 10 times a day (which is what I THOUGHT was the goal). It turns out I should be feeling her move 10 times an hour at this stage of my pregnancy. I told her when I REALLY get panicked I check for a heart beat with a home fetal heart monitor I rented rather than calling up and begging to go into L&D for a check. She was very grateful to this. She was kind of vague on how much of a problem this was and said it was just one of many measures and the baby’s heartbeat was good and everything seemed fine.

We also talked about how woefully unprepared for the birthing event I was. I asked if she recommended any particular birthing method because I heard they all pretty much fell apart once the going got touch. She agreed. We talked about hypno-birth and she said she had seen that method be the most successful. She said that it really is painful and you need some technique to separate yourself from it to go nature. She doesn’t recommend a completely natural birth for the first delivery. She asked how I felt about an epidural. She said that while it does have some risks and slows down the birth and makes pushing harder (since you can’t feel it) she would rather deal with that than complications due to intense pain. I told her that I had no problem with the needle in the spine thing and the risks and had had an epidural for my fibroid surgery. Just that I would rather try natural first and switch if it the pain got too bad. However, if my health or the health of the baby were in question I wanted whatever medical intervention that was needed fast. She was okay with that. The key here will be to find a Doula that subscribes to the same philosophy. I have talked to another one, who I think may be who I end up going with. And, have been playing phone tag with a third. We will see.

I am hosting another SMC Meeting today. This is a different group than the one I hosted last month. I can’t believe that I have everything so together that I have had time to kill before folks get here. Only 20 more minutes. Should be fun, but I am glad that I have nothing that I have to do tomorrow. I think I need a day to relax and maybe get caught up on bills, work, get ready for my trip next week, etc.

To close, next OB appointment is in 2 weeks because I need the Rhogham shot since I am B- and every 2 weeks thereafter. Holy Cow! I am getting close and that this really may happen.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

oh dear. I think perhaps you are right and you failed the test as that is exactly how I felt when I failed mine.. :( I hope it is not true.

I can't believe how quickly your pregnancy is moving along!! :)

have a good trip this week.