Monday, November 29, 2004

No, I have NOT just delivered a baby or returned from maternity leave

I’m back at work today and spent the morning catching up from being out last week and in meetings. I need to make a bunch of phone calls, but to folks on the east coast so I guess it will wait until tomorrow at this point.

I have gotten some funny comments lately that I don’t know what to make of. In one of my meetings today (we are a very virtual company and all of our meeting are conference calls), when I announced I had joined, the meeting organizer/facilitator (who I have never met or even been in another meeting with that I can remember) said, “Great, glad you could make it, I thought you were still out on maternity leave?” What? Is he kidding? I wasn’t quite sure how to respond so I said, “I’m not even pregnant”. Then, I think he said something like “Oh, well there is still time to work on it” or something about working on it. I just didn’t know what to say. Other people joined and I just let it go. What the heck? Probably, he just has me confused with someone else. My boss and her administrative assistant do know what is going on, but that is not something they would share. I have a meeting scheduled with her for tomorrow. If I get a chance, I am going to ask her about it. Unfortunately, she didn’t join the call until after this little exchange. It’s probably just nothing. But, it was strange and made me very uncomfortable.

I got a manicure/pedicure the other day. My acupuncturist (who I just love) recommends this during stims. There was a young guy (mid 20’s?) doing the pedicure and the shop owner doing the manicure. The owner said the young guy hadn’t been in America very long and she was telling him about the Thanksgiving holiday and the tradition of it. When I put my feet in the water, the owner asked if it was too warm and I said no. Then she said, it would be good for me right now and my circulation to get the blood flowing. I said nothing, but thought “Yes, exactly what my acupuncturist said”. Then, later, the young guy made a comment to her in another language (he doesn’t speak English) and she made some comment to me about me just delivering a baby. Again, what the heck? I just said, no I hadn’t and am not pregnant and left it at that. She translated that back to him.

Am I giving out some king of weird hormonal signals here with all of these meds being pumped into my body. How does this happen twice in four days? Even if my stomach is looking a bit bloated and puffy these days, the guy on the phone couldn’t see that?

Let me tell you, these types of comments are NOT good for the ego and not something someone who is TRYING to get pregnant wants to hear.

2 comments:

Katrina said...

I hope you don't mind me peeking over here again (I suspect you don't since you gave me your blod address).

Anyway, I can imagine how difficult that must be...everyone thinking you have bene pregnant/given birth when that is the one thing you long for more than anything. On the other hand, perhaps you can look at it as a sign...I will be praying for you!:)

Katrina said...

Not that it REALLY matters...but blod should have been blog, and bene (though it is a real word in Italian) is not what I meant to write, but rather been. :)