Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Lupie Lupron?

The early morning ramblings of someone who can't sleep. Read on at your own risk. Maybe it will make sense, but I'm offering no guarantee.

I've been thinking about a few posts that I’d like to write, but have been a bit sleep deprived these last few nights and work has been busy as I prepare to be out of the office for several weeks (okay 4 total) of vacation/holiday in Nov./Dec. Maybe I'll get to them while I am off work.

The way I understand it, Lupron causes your body to overproduce FSH/LH causing a feedback loop to your body to cut production in order to "quiet" your ovaries and temporarily put them in a state of menopause. Once this has been confirmed by cd2 u/s, stims are started.

I have found a re-occurring pattern that shows that when ever I am on stims (Clomid and Repronex/Pergonal) that causes more FSH/LH, my sleep seems to be reduced by the amount of the hormones produced. So, maybe I will have a brief period of time where the Lupron feedback loop has kicked in lowering FSH/LH and before stims where I will get a few nights of sleep. Otherwise, this month just got a lot longer. On the other hand, you can get so much more done in a day the less time you spend sleeping. I was expecting the insomnia once I started Gonal F/Pergonal in a few weeks. The Lupron insomnia caught me a bit by surprise. Of course, it could be the Dex, which is supposed to cause insomnia and nausea in some people as well, but I don't think so. The FSH/LH theory better fits the pattern.

I had a consult with my dr. a few weeks ago and got a lot of questions answered. I have a few more like why my protocol has me on Lupron throughout the cycle instead of switching to Antagon or Citratide once I start stims. I think it is because on my inj. IUI cycle I started with 5 follicles, that went to 3, that reduce to 2 at time of IUI. I think he wants to make sure that I don't oversupress. I've been pondering this for awhile. Since I am awake at 3:30 am PT and have nothing better to do, maybe I will kick him off an email. On the other hand, I have decided to trust that he knows what he is doing with all of this; maybe I don't really care enough since it not going to change anything. Hmmm.

I just love the fact that my dr. answers emails. When I first stared this process, I had pages and pages of questions. I really have cut back as time has gone on. My friend, M, pointed out that I have a terrible habit of asking him a question and then telling him what I think the answer is. She is right. I can't just ask a question without giving at least one (or more) probable explanations. I have tried. I wonder why that is.

Other than not being able to sleep and a low grade headache (also a side affect of Lupron), I think things are going well over here. Okay, other than that car accident that I almost got in because I wasn't paying attention (looking at directions) and didn't realize the light had changed and almost pulled out in front of someone. I have been much more cautious since.

Moving to a few items that may fall under the too much information (TMI) category around bodily functions...so don't read on if such topics disgust or annoy you...I have noticed that my urine has a really foul odor these days. I wonder if this is also the Lupron as well. When on stims (FSH/LH) enhancers in the past, it has been accompanied by frequent loose stools. The Lupron seems to be causing frequent formed stools. My dr's explanation in the past was that as the ovaries grew they pushed on the intestines causing this. However, since I am on BCP's and Lupron is supposed to suppress them further (at least for the time being), I wonder what would cause this. Reading the Lupron package insert constipation is one of the reported side affects (as well as insomnia) which would explain the "formed" part. But, what about the frequent? Why do I even wonder about this stuff?

On this high note, I think it is time to move on to other pastimes until daylight and the new day official begins.


No comments: