Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Fuck

After the fiasco around the appointment today, you'd think the day would improve and I'd get better news. The fluid in N's brain has increased such that she needs surgery to put in a shunt. It's scheduled for very early on Friday morning and she will be in the hospital at least overnight. Couldn't seems to get me the first appointment, but no problem getting the surgery scheduled so fast, eh? I'm left scrambling for coverage for the kids. I think I can and plan to at this point take Max and R on Saturday. While I'd love to be able to stay with N overnight, I just don't think I'm going to be able to work that at. Friday will be a long, long day. We have to be at the hospital at 6 am. Don't even get me started with the fact that they said not to feed N after midnight. No way is that not going to happen. She's too little and that is too long. The shit just never seems to end. I'm tired. My poor little one under anesthesia. Fuck!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh crap, Deb. I'm so sorry sweet little Nora is going to need this surgery, and am just amazed at the poor client service at that doc's office. Incredible that he'd go into a 4 hour surgery just leaving you there in the lurch. I'm angry for you.

(((Deb)))

Jo

QuiltingChaos said...

OMG, Deb!!! I'm so sorry. What a horrible day.
-Margie

Anonymous said...

I know you probably don't want to hear this but, I would follow their instructions about the food after midnight. When she gets there they will hydrate her with fluids. You just don't want her to aspirate stomach contents into her lungs and have her get pneumonia or worse.

Hang in there. I am glad they recognized the problem and are putting in the shunt. I am sure she will feel better after it's in. I am sure that having increased fluid is not a pleasant feeling. I hope she has an uneventful recovery.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and ask up until what time she can have solids (i.e. milk) and what time she can have clear liquids (water, pedialyte). They usually say no solids after midnight but that they can have clear liquids until 4 hours prior to the procedure in young children.

Clara said...

I'm so sorry, Deb. Thank heavens that social worker DID get you an appointment, for little N's sake. But what horrible service!

Hugs to all 4 of you,
Susan

LoveMyBoys said...

Deb I'll be thinking of Nora on Friday and sending prayers that all goes well!

CC

Nina said...

Debbie, I read this your post early in the morning and all I could repeat again and again was that Thank God you've got appointment! Thank God, not a day later! I feel so sorry for your beautiful N. but I very much believe that this should help her a lot. God Bless your family!

tripntwinmom said...

Deb-
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your sweet baby girl. If you have any questions about anything in regards to this, PLEASE feel free to call me ANYTIME! My landline is still out from the hurricane, but you can email me for my cell...
tobtytamom@sbcglobal.net
I know this does not make you feel any better as a mom, but this IS a good thing and will only do good...As far as surgeries go, this is a alk-in-the-park for neuros as they do these so often.

Hang on momma. She will be home with again soon. It is usually only 1 night....

Jenn

Drowned Girl said...

Oh no.. sending you love and strength.

xxx