Monday, October 06, 2008

Doctors and More Doctors

I was sufficiently worried about the swelling around N's shunt this morning along with the tenderness in that area, her fussiness, and being off her eating game to ask to have her post-op appointment today. According to the surgen, there was swelling, but it was inconsequential and would need to get much bigger than that to be a concern. I, of course, pressed and asked double the size and he, 3, 4, 5 times the size. So, there you have it. I went prepared (cause with N's luck I figure I must be) to be told she needed emergency surgery, but got the best case news that all was fine. I'm not any more impressed by his office staff than I have been in the past. I waited 1.5 hours to be seen today.

Max had his 3 year old well boy appointment today. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to make it with the whole N thing. Rather than cancel with my cousin here, she picked Max up from school and took him. I was able to get done in time to meet her in the peds parking lot and we traded kids and she went home with N. I'm so happy I was able to be there for it. And, I'm sure I've said it before. I just love our ped. Max did great. No shots today. He's current on his immunizations. He did get the flu vacination, but via nose.

His height and weight are that of a 4 1/2 year old with his head on par for his age at 3. He weighed in at 38 1/2 lbs (97%) and was 40 7/8 inches tall (94%). His head was 20 inches (74%). We both got our questions in and had nice conversation. Max told him he was going to be a doctor for Halloween and made his day. Dr. H was great when he checked out his groin area telling him that it was his private area and he was only allowed to do it because his mommy was here, NOT just because he was a doctor, but because he was a doctor and mommy was here...which is consistent with the conversations and reinforcement of concersations Max and I have been having about private parts and privacy. The ped and I are just so in sync on things and our styles that it is nice.

Cousin is out walking the babes. Max is in bed (but not yet asleep at last check). Noemi is gone for the day. I'm headed to bed. I've been up since 2 am with a brief nap between 4 and 4:30. I could have been worse, much much worse. Cousin has been doing shift 1 and I'm dong shift 2. So, at least I got to sleep from 9 pm to 2 am. With N feeling so off, it may be another long night so I'm going to catch sleep while the opportunity presents itself.

As stressful as today was with moving up N's appointment, at least if frees up tomorrow and I have a whole day appointment free. What a luxery.

No comments: