Thursday, August 10, 2006

7 days from today

In one week, my little Max will be a year old, but whose counting? How did that happen?

Even a little bit off and cranky the last few days with a low grade temperature and a bit of a buggery nose, he is still the cutest and most entertaining show in town. Every week he just grows and changes so much. I have an appointment to have his 1 year picture taken on the afternoon of his birthday. I’m just hoping that he has no visible boo boo’s by then. I am currently tending to a scraped nose due to a face plant in the driveway and a sore on his big toe. He is an active toddler with the bumps and bruises to show it.

He clearly understands ‘no’ AND that he is an independent being and chooses to test the water for consistency on a regular basis. We go to this one park that has an activity center, pre-school, and summer camp associated with it at least once a week before I start work. This particular park has a hard cement staircase with huge gaps between the steps that is strictly off limits to Max. I do let him climb all cement steps at other parks, but they are just a few steps and not a staircase. For the last few weeks, when Max has seen the staircase, he looks longingly at it and starts shaking his head “no no no no no” as if he is reminding himself that it is off limits. He does the “no” shaking of the head at other times when he knows he is not supposed to do something as well. Very funny and very cute. And, often, he tries to do it anyway to see if he can get away with it.

Max has (mostly) stopped throwing a fit when a door to the outside opens and closes and he is still on the inside and when the fridge door opens. Mostly because he has had been allowed ample time to explore every nook and cranny of our yard and the fridge. His recent melt downs are occurring when I will not let him crawl into the street or over a curb. When he heads in the street/curb direction, I usually stand in front of him to block his way and state firmly “NO STREET”, “NO STREET”. If he continues in this direction or tries to go around me and/or throws a fit, I pick him up and we go inside, go to the back yard, go to the car, whatever…basically remove him from the situation and then try distraction.

Max is not yet walking on his own, but is a stellar stroller pusher and Hippo Walker pusher. He has the strength and the endurance, but just not the balance yet. He can and does walk up to a ¼ and almost a ½ of a mile on a regular basis. He will take little rest and explore breaks, but then he is back ready to walk on.

I got a few “Baby Signing Times” DVD’s for Max. Last week, he was barely interested and it didn’t keep his focus. This morning, he was riveted. It held is full attention. And, he tried to make his body move in response to what he was watching. Just adorable to watch.

Yesterday, my mom was over for dinner and we went outside to eat so Max could play around and explore the back yard. It was getting time for my mom to go and for me to get Max bathed and to bed and he started pitching a fit because the truck (big red Hummer rescue vehicle that used to move via a remote control until my cousins kids ran it into the pool years ago that was donated to my “kid cupboard” and has become a favorite toy of Max’s). I plopped myself in the pool lounger that was sitting on the cement and cuddled and did physical play with him a bit. He was laughing and laughing and laughing. He started to crawl away and came back for more “mommy jungle gym” two or three times. He had my mom and I in stitches and laughing right along with him. Time like that is just indescribable, when you let them have their freedom and they come back for mommy love. I call it the mommy reward. Yes, he has been crabby and testing his screams for reactions and boundaries. But, when he wants to cuddle AND when he is so proud of a new skill or talent…you should hear is quack and his bark….LOL…it just makes my heart warm, my face smile, and remind me of why I wanted to be a mom so, so much.

He is just growing and changing and I think even getting a few more teeth. Not that he will let me look and see. I can try, but I will get my fingers bitten. He does and will brush his teeth and chew on his many toothbrushes, but rarely lets me get a turn.

In some ways, I miss babyhood. I miss the breastfeeding and that he needed so much more time and attention. He is just so much more independent. And, I just love seeing him grown and change and develop.

No comments: