Sunday, March 12, 2006

On the mend

Finally, we are starting to get better around here. It has been 13 days since Max got the cold/cough that turned into an ear infection; 10 days since he has been on antibiotics; 11 days since I got the cold/cough that spread to an eye infection; 3 days since I have been on antibiotics for my eyes. It is our second full weekend ill. And, FINALLY, we are starting to get better.

I cancelled all of our weekend plans and we just stayed home and hung out for a change. We left the house twice a day to walk the dogs and that was it. When Max went to bed, I went to bed. When Max napped, I laid down to nap. I think I finally got enough sleep that my body is able to fight off this thing. I am still a bit stuffy and have a cough, but am feeling tons better.

In the middle of all of this, I had my first work trip and left Max in the full time care of others. I was gone for 3 days and 2 nights. It was REALLY, REALLY hard leaving. I started crying before I even left. Naomi was so cute. She kept saying “It will be okay. I love Max. I will take good care of him.” I was fine while gone, but so darn happy to be back.

I thought my ear drums may explode on the decent into Dallas. They didn’t clear until much later than night when I was asleep after one and half doses of a Tylenol PM/Benedyl. I went straight to the airport to a work dinner function. My ears were so blocked, I could hear, but every thing was so muffled and fussy.

Somehow in the time I left Dallas and arrived back in Los Angeles, I managed to get a raging eye infection. When I went to the doctor on Friday afternoon, she stayed on the other side of the room from me. I think she was trying to be subtle, but was sure she didn’t want any part of me and my germs.

Somewhere in the middle of this illness, last weekend I think, I managed to walk full speed into the middle of my bedroom door in the wee hours of the night and give myself a mild concussion. My head was so sore for a few days and I remember thinking that I can’t believe I have such a bad headache and that it is in the exact same spot from a cold. Then, I remembered running into the door in the middle of the night and how much it hurt. My forehead and eye socket are still a bit tender to the touch, but the headache finally left me on Friday.

Max seemed to do fine without me here. My sister said that he got a bit fussy from time to time and she could tell that he missed the boob, but there were no major melt downs. The biggest glitch was that the syringe the pharmacy gave us to dole out Max antibiotics broke and she switch to another one. The first one was in ML, the second was in teaspoons. Basically, she overdosed him by quite a bit for a day and a half. I guess the good news here is that if an overdose had to happen, Amoxicillin is one of the better drugs for it to happen with. I think my sister really liked it, but was feeling pretty darn sleep deprived and was happy to head home on Friday morning (after sleeping in while Max and I took the doggies out).

Today was the first day in a long, long time where I felt simi-normal (not completely and totally exhausted) when I woke up. Since then I have napped twice when Max napped. The second one I was sleeping HARD when he woke up and had to fight off the sleep. In spite of that, I think I am going to close this out and crawl back in bed. After all, tomorrow starts a new week.

I am glad this cold is almost behind us and I am glad my work trip is over. It is much harder to have a child, work, take care of the dogs/house, etc. when you are severely under the weather. Note to self: Don’t get sick again for a long, long time.

No comments: